lenovo y500 temps ?

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
so recently I have replaced my laptop motherboard in the service center and as I feared the technician didn`t apply the thermal paste correctly resulting in a 100c gpu temps on gaming, so I sent the unit again and instructed the technician on how to apply the paste and so he did a great jop this time but I am a little concerned about the CPU temps so I need consulting.

cpu core i7 3630qm idles at 50-55c
running prime 95 with 26watt 2400hz frequency I get 75-82c temps which is still considered fine I guess
running prime95 with 45watt hyper threading at 3100hz the cpu temps reaches as high as 90c now I am confused since I am definitly not sending the unit back again to reapply the thermal paste especially if the GPU temps full load is 75c max

is this considered normal for i7 3630qm or a bit high when hyper threading.

I have tested with core temp HWmonitor same results.

thanks appreciate the help.

Solution
Yeah. Unfortunately that is considered normal. Gaming laptops tends to run hot

Here's a review with temps screenshot from that review:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y500-Notebook.87585.0.html

stress1_21.jpg

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
thanks for the info jaguarskx it was really helpful and gave me alot of insight, I was able to produce similar temps to the review while running furmark and prime95 at the same time.
here are the temps

realistically I don`t think you will even end up using both the CPU and GPU at full time at the same time, hence no app will use 100% of all CPU cores at the same time.
so knowing that both the CPU and GPU share the same heatsink I don`t think I can produce better results if I re-applied the thermal paste maybe slightly but not sure.

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
yesterday I stressed two gaming laptops to make sure in the display in the store with an ambient tempreture of approx 19-20c with prime95 and furmark for about 10 minutes
MSI gt60 with core i7 4th generation and gtx770 4GB
the temps where
processor ranged from 87-91c
GPU temp was 84c

the other laptop
lenovo y510p which is similar to mine in the cooling system was
processor core I7 4th generation ranged from 88-91c
GPU temp was 85

so I am now convinced that as you said gaming laptops run hot in default so even if I reapply the thermal paste I might get only a 2c cooler system. baring in mind that my laptop won`t even reach 90 if it was in such a cool evniorment since my room temps are usually around 24 or 25c
anyway thanks for the input I hope this forum would be agood reference for other y500 y510 owners who are questions the temps :)