Lenovo Y580 Overheating When Gaming. SSD+HDD Combo.

exmachina

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hi. I did a fresh intall of Windows 7 in the 32gb msata SSD, while I moved the hard drive is used as storage and everything else.

Problem is when I game,everything runs to the max, including the GPU and CPU even when they don't need to, or at least thats what I'm thinking. For example when playing games like League of Legends I'm hitting the 90's mark.

Before I had done the fresh install, the laptop never got this hot, no matter how intense the game, like Planteside 2. The Lenovo's default setup was OS and stuff in HDD while msata SSD was used as cache.

Here's the temps at max :
gCrXVwT.png

Solution
Have you tried opening up your laptop to see if there's any dust blockage? Is your laptop ventilation and fan area being physically blocked by anything?

asianmeat

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Have you tried opening up your laptop to see if there's any dust blockage? Is your laptop ventilation and fan area being physically blocked by anything?

Solution

exmachina

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Yes I did and I found a little dust bunny, lol. However my temperatures are still too much when gaming. In fact on idle the CPU is in the 48-57 C range and the motherboard at 57ish C. The GPU is at 43C but I'm content with that one.