Lenovo Y700-17ISK dead overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

irooman

Estimable
Apr 25, 2016
Yesterday evening I turned off my Lenovo, and today, it won't start.Symptoms are: Blank screen, not even a flash, fans start up for 2 seconds Max and then turn off, keyboard light flashes once, HDD spins for maximum 10 seconds and stops, HDD led won't turn on at all, power light is on. I'm at loos here, just randomly overnight it decides to not work. Could the problem be that I chose the shut down but closed the lid before it actually shut off?

Solution
If it is making sounds, and lights are on, then it may well not be off. It may be that the display is the problem.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which...
Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. Unplug your charger cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
5. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop. You may also want to try charging it when the device is off, rather than on. If it works then, the cord is probably the issue.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

NOTE: While the battery may be complicated to get to, it should be removable/replaceable. Unless it is under warranty, then you should contact the manufacturer.

irooman

Estimable
Apr 25, 2016
Should've added it to the main post , but I've done that. Also checked the Rams and reseated CMOS. Tried with another screen etc. power led is on and charging. weird thing is that the HDD stops spinning in 10 seconds and cooling fans in about 2-3. I'm quite sure that the motherboard died, not sure how and why when the laptop is turned off.

If it is making sounds, and lights are on, then it may well not be off. It may be that the display is the problem.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution
Dec 29, 2019
Hey irooman,
I have the same laptop with the same issue. Did you solve the problem with your laptop because mine just did it yesterday. I’m thinking that it’s probably the Gpu but I’m not sure. Any help would be appreciated:)

irooman

Estimable
Apr 25, 2016
Hey irooman,
I have the same laptop with the same issue. Did you solve the problem with your laptop because mine just did it yesterday. I’m thinking that it’s probably the Gpu but I’m not sure. Any help would be appreciated:)
Hey, i sent it to repairs and it turned out to be a bios error, 20€ and they fixed it

Status
Not open for further replies.