Lenovo Y700 (i7 Skylake) - Very slow, high memory usage.

Sentic

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Heya, so just as title says, I recently bought my GF the brand new Laptop from Lenovo - Y700..
It has 16GB Memory, i7 6700HQ intel processor, 4k monitor and 528 GB SSD Hardrive..

Thing is, everything is just slow, by slow I mean it takes 2 seconds to open My Computer, it also has 40% Memory taken from "Search" app, Explorer, Destkop Windows Manager and shitloads of other processes that are on..

I'm pointing all this out AFTER I did Windows 10 reset 3 times (!!!!!!)..

Its unbearable, my i7 2600k desktop PC is twice as fast on everything, she tried to have a presentation at Uni with it and the powerpoint was unusble becuase there was a massive lag on everything..

What do I do ?

Also another thing, alot of softwares are REALLY REALLY small, tried rescaling and stuff, sometimes i can fix it, but most of the times it just goes back and is making alot of softwares like Photoshop and Autodesk 3DS Max unusable.

Have you gone into task manager and shut down unneeded items/processes? Also, many Windows programs don't play well with 4K resolution monitors scaling-wise (at least from what I'm told). Even though 1080p isn't the monitor's native resolution, have you tried using it at 1080p?

Deformation

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
It sounds like there may be hung services or bloatware slowing you down.

I would advise downloading: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
and get the free version. Run the initial scan twice, then on the left select Tools, and disable unneeded software that is set to boot on start up.
Additionally go to Tools > Uninstall and remove any software that isn't needed.

With those specs you should be running fine for most applications. Though as 1Shado1 said, 4k does slow things down quite a bit.

Sentic

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

How could it have bloatware if its fresh install of windows? And why are the system processs take so mucch memory? Also theres not alot to uninstall, alot of stuff belongs to Lenovo..

rgd1101

Don't

You said you did a reset, not reinstall. the bloatware is from Lenovo. which system process taking so much memory? it is just doing window update?

L_Spencer

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I'm having the exact same issue! Were you able to solve it? Restarting takes 10 minutes on the computer. I'm not even exaggerating.
Should I return the laptop? It's new!