Lenovo Yoga 520 Wont Boot

Jun 9, 2018
Last night while finishing a word document I found my documents to be having issues saving. When attempting to auto save it would want to save to a separate drive. It then refused to turn off through the power off button in the start menu. Tired and getting fed up with it I hard booted it with the power button. This morning I attempt to turn it on, goes to a blue screen requesting a language for the keyboard then goes to another blue screen with troubleshooting options or shut off pc. After attempting the auto repair a message pops up saying I need to restart and try again. It's getting into the tip of assessment week and I need this laptop asap as it has all my documents on it.

Solution
Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will load. If it does, then you need to get your files from it (save them to a USB drive or another location) and then you need to locate whatever is causing the issue. Probably a virus, malware, bad program, etc. Once done, restart the computer. I said to back up what you need, just in case there are further problems or worse the drive goes. This way you can at least have the documents you need.

If it won't load in "Safe Mode" either, then you may well have a bad drive on your hands.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode"...
Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will load. If it does, then you need to get your files from it (save them to a USB drive or another location) and then you need to locate whatever is causing the issue. Probably a virus, malware, bad program, etc. Once done, restart the computer. I said to back up what you need, just in case there are further problems or worse the drive goes. This way you can at least have the documents you need.

If it won't load in "Safe Mode" either, then you may well have a bad drive on your hands.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution