Question Lenovo Yoga S730 overheating

Nov 22, 2019
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a Yoga S730 (or IdeaPad 730S) and it keeps overheating so I apply ceramic thermal paste to the CPU. I notice that after applying the thermal paste, if I get my ear close to the keyboard, I can hear a electric-y, almost like a sizzling noise. Is this a problem? I examine everything inside but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I encounter the following issues:
  • The fan sometimes seems to be running even though the CPU temperature is only about 40 to 50°C and the CPU utilization is only under 10%.
  • On start-up, the CPU utilization would be at 30 to 40% and the clock speed at 3.xx GHz, the laptop would also get very hot, the CPU would be at about 90°C but then decreases down to 40 to 50°C.
  • The laptop gets very hot when plugged in and I run a slightly heavy task like installing applications, the CPU temperature would get up to 92°C. When I create a new and empty file in Photoshop CC 2018, the CPU would get up to 90°C.
  • Sometimes when the CPU temperature is at only nearly 60°C, the fan would also run pretty loud (I don't how many RPM because the HWMonitor or SpeedFan doesn't display fan speed).
I have tried everything from reinstalling Windows to editting power plan in the Control Panel. What can I do about these issues? Thanks a lot

If you just go this new and it is overheating, there is a problem. A new device should not give you problems. I would suggest either returning it and having them exchange it for another, or if past that point, contact the manufacturer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ruslruslrusl1 Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
I Laptop Tech Support 1
WD-17 Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 2
CmdrRiker Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 3
L Laptop Tech Support 8
T Laptop Tech Support 4