Solved! Lenovo Z500 won't charge after DC Jack sparking

maxy239

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Hi guys, first time posting here and I'd appreciate some help.

A few months ago now a friend tripped over the power cable for my laptop which made the dc jack become loose. Since then I've been soldering the wires back to the jack every time they came free causing my laptop to stop charging.

However the most recent time I was doing this sparks were coming from the jack even though the laptop wasn't connected to the power. The laptop then claimed to be charging although the charge wasn't going up and eventually it ran out. The charging light was on for a short while even though the charger wasn't plugged into the laptop.

Since then the laptop won't charge, even after I've bought a completely new DC Jack. I don't believe I've shorted the motherboard as the laptop did turn on, it just no longer charged. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

maxy239

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Stupidly I did yes. I tried turning the computer on with the battery unplugged and the charger plugged in but that didn't work. Is there a way of replacing short circuited components or even finding which ones are the short circuited ones?