Lens Compatability for Nikon D3400

tellytubby96

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I recently bought Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens with Auto Focus. This is the second time that I searched if the lens would be compatable and it has not been. What am I missing? I just want to get a good 50mm lens for this camera.

Solution
The d3400 can use the older "D" lenses, but it does not have a screw drive AF motor in the camera and so those older lenses will be manual focus only until you upgrade to a d7000 or above. You can use the current lens with your camera. You should get focus confirmation (green dot). If you want a 50mm which will AF on your body, you need one with a focus motor in the lens such as the 50mm f/1.8G.

bjornl

Estimable
The d3400 can use the older "D" lenses, but it does not have a screw drive AF motor in the camera and so those older lenses will be manual focus only until you upgrade to a d7000 or above. You can use the current lens with your camera. You should get focus confirmation (green dot). If you want a 50mm which will AF on your body, you need one with a focus motor in the lens such as the 50mm f/1.8G.

Solution