LG C7 Oled not playing WD Passport Hard Drive

chrisdutts

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
My current Samsung TV plays my WD Passport Hard Drive with no issues at all. It's formatted at ntfs.

I recently went looking at a new TV and was tempted by an LG C7 OLED as I've been told they're a lot better than the qled.

The first store I went in my Hard Drive worked, the salesman then showed me the same model but a bigger TV. He could not get the hard drive to show up no matter which usb input he tried.

I then went to another store and had the same problem, however it then just randomly appeared after a while, no one knew why. He kept removing it and putting it back in.

I then went to another store as I was not sure about It, surprise surprise it didn't work.

Does anyone know why or have had similar issues with an LG? I may stick with a Samsung if it's a bit hit and miss each time i use it.

I could test a fat32 usb pen but I won't be using that format as I need large files on it.

Solution
I have a Samsung TV and it has a dedicated usb port for USB HDD's
It supplies extra voltage for the external drive and my HDD will only show up in this port.
On LG's site they say that the TV's support a maximum of 5V 500ma power and maximum 2TB USB HDD
You could try a powered usb hub which should allow you to plug it into any port on the TV as the hub supplies power to the HDD not the TV
ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ultra-Powered-Power-Supply/dp/B0061RSACG/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1511606491&sr=1-9&keywords=powered+usb+hub

kango69

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
I have a Samsung TV and it has a dedicated usb port for USB HDD's
It supplies extra voltage for the external drive and my HDD will only show up in this port.
On LG's site they say that the TV's support a maximum of 5V 500ma power and maximum 2TB USB HDD
You could try a powered usb hub which should allow you to plug it into any port on the TV as the hub supplies power to the HDD not the TV
ttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ultra-Powered-Power-Supply/dp/B0061RSACG/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1511606491&sr=1-9&keywords=powered+usb+hub

Solution