LG L33G + Klipsch KMC-1 best audio

Kbuzbee

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Hi folks,

I have an LG L33G (TracFone version of the Sunset) and have a Klipsch KMC-1 bluetooth speaker inbound.

I'm trying to figure out the "best" way to connect them. Best includes stability (no drop outs or interference) and overall audio quality. I realize this depends on the quality of the DAC in the L33G, otherwise, from what I've read, analog 3.5mm cable tends to be more robust and higher quality. True?

So, given this scenario, what do you think? 3.5mm? Or Bluetooth?

I'm looking for good audio quality but I realize it won't be "audiophile" quality. Convenience and portability are not really issues. I only use my phone as a phone about once a week but I plan to use this setup every day.

As it stands right now, I'm planning to plug the phone into the KMC-1 charging port and 3.5mm for audio but I thought I'd ask before it gets here.

Thanks,

Ken

outside of using something like the fiio e18 kunlun or similar android compatible amp/dac, quality is going to depend on both the dac and amp inside your phone if via 3.5mm analog.

while i have not on my current phone (lg ultimate 2 tracfone), i used to use headphones directly out of my old phone (htc incredible 2 verizon) with a pair of headphones and it was certainly sufficient. almost daily i used to stream to my car radio via bluetooth as well. while quality was generally good there were a few irregularities or skips once in awhile.

running bluetooth also is much more drain on your phones battery and keeping it charging all the time is not good for your battery.

tldr: i'd just use 3.5mm, but do what you wish.

Kbuzbee

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

Haha, thanks. No tldr here. I truly want as much information as I can get so I do appreciate your real world experiences. I suspect 3.5mm interconnect will be sufficient, but we'll see.

As to the battery life. It's a great point. At least with these the battery is replaceable, unlike my iPad which stays plugged in most of the time. Fortunately battery tech has improved from the days where you needed to deep cycle them, but wise words none the less.

I'll post my experience when the KMC-1 arrives (but I'm hesitant to tell the real application <ducks out the door>)

Ken

generally you can get a few years out of batteries though towards the end they would not hold a charge for more than half a day at most. unfortunate for sure but given how important cell phones are to us we refuse to cycle them how they should.

not all phone 3.5mm is good, some are great while others are fairly poor. i have no idea how your particular phone will act though my results in the past have always been positive. if you do have issues you could always make do with one of the other options.

i have no experience with the kmc1, though i'm a fan of klipsch. i have a set of their quintet iv's and subwoofer an they have been stellar. i'd love to have bookshelves or floorstanders in the future if i have the room and budget. the pc speaker system they have (promedia) is not bad, but the subwoofer overpowers the satelites (so i returned it and upgraded to real hifi). if the kmc1 is anything like the other products i've demoed or own it should be good. only testing will tell though.

Kbuzbee

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016

Cool, thanks. It's a starting point. We'll see where it leads.

For several years my only Klipsch products were IEMs. Loved them in everything I tried them in. Then we got a really good deal on an SB120. It's really more of a tv stand with speakers than a traditional sound bar, but that's exactly what we needed. We'd tried a Polk Magnifi but it covered the IR port on our Bravia 850. The Sony fits perfectly on the Klipsch. It doesn't have a sub, the main knock on it, but mids, hi's and voice are terrific.

Then a week or so ago there was a Groupon on the KMC-1 for $99. I knew it was disco'd and prices had fallen but this was still the lowest I'd seen. Couldn't pass it up. For the intended use i really didn't need the portability but who knows? With it's li-ion it does 8-16 hours. Maybe it'll go out in the yard with us next summer? Or to the beach, etc... Lots of possibilities.

Ken