Solved! LG OLED E8 & Onkyo NR646 AVR : ARC not working

Oct 26, 2018
Hi,
I had a good home theatre setup earlier with a Samsung 6300 TV and Onkyo 646 receiver with 5 streaming devices connected to it(chromecast, Sony ps3, nintendo on hdmi and android streaming box). After upgrading to LG E8 TV, I wanted to use ARC feature in AVR so tat only audio is sent to receiver; But I had a tough time with no audio from tv to receiver in arc mode.

After couple of night debugging, I realized that removing all inputs and then "configuring the input port" in LG TV made ARC finally working. From this point, I started adding all the streaming devices till the point where I found the troublesome device - 4k streaming android box (HiMedia).

Has anyone had this problem with LG OLED TVs or Onkyo 646 receiver? I cannot understand why that sngle device would prevent LG TV and Onkyo to not negotiate over CEC.

Oct 26, 2018

Thanks! A little more of Googling helped me find the problem. Its a known issue with some STBs and many Android based (not android TV OS) chinese media boxes that they have incorrect CEC implementation which actually takes down HDMI CEC for all connected devices in home theatre. My specific streaming box - http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=166.0

For someone reading this in future, the possible solutions are -
1. Keep the streaming box disconnected and everything will work (my solution for now! )
2. Use a Lindy CEC-free HDMI adapter (which disables CEC pin in HDMI);
3. DIY by taking a stab at CEC pin in HDMI in ur cable connect AVR and pushing the metal connector inwards (Sounded so scary that I have reserved my next weekend to experiment on)