Solved! LG. OLED55E6P TV will not tune in digital channels

Dec 26, 2018
I have this TV and recently our cable company changed from analog to digital signal. It worked great before, but now, we do the auto scan and it will not tune in digital channels.

We called LG customer service and they were less than helpful. They referred us to factory authorized service center and they blew us off as well.

Any ideas. We need help. This was an expensive TV, is relatively new, and I hate to replace it. Thanks!

Solution
I'd request a Set Top Box from your cable company to test thing out. If it works, with the set top box, then argue they should let you keep it at no charge. They made the change. You should not need to replace your TV for a change they made.

-Wolf sends
Do you have a cable box between the cable wall outlet and the HDTV? If they made a transition, then they should provide you with a new box or if you didn't have a box and they recently made a transition, they should supply you with one free of charge.

I'm confused because most cable companies made the transition to digital even before the broadcast companies did.

-Wolf sends

User Manual Download Site

InvalidError

Distinguished
TVs can only decode "Clear QAM" (unencrypted) channels unless they have a CableCard slot and you can get your hands on said card. Cable TV companies encrypt most if not all of their digital channels so people cannot 'steal' TV signal by simply tapping into a neighbor's line. You will need a digital STB to remove the encryption and output the digital stream to your TV over HDMI.

In other words, digital cable has rendered built-in analog and digital cable tuners obsolete. The built-in tuner is only useful for digital OTA channels now that analog OTA is also dead.

In other words, digital cable has rendered built-in analog and digital cable tuners obsolete.

Not sure that's entirely accurate. Digital Encryption has made QAM TV Tuners obsolete. ATSC tuners can still pick up OTA broadcasts and (I think) cable companies are still required to provide local channels without encryption; forgoing the need for a set top box.

-Wolf sends

boju

Distinguished

Do you mean you run free-to-air channels through your cable box? Or are you getting confused between cable company and free-to-air company's? Because shouldn't need to tune a cable box to view the content you've signed up for. Which makes me think;

A: You're running TV aerial to the cable box and cable box doesn't have a digital tuner.
B: You have the aerial to the TV but haven't changed it to digital and still on analog channel.

Think some TVs don't have RF, depending on the country i suppose? If you're indeed running TV through the cable box (Thats if your cable box has RF input) then as suggested, contact your cable supplier for a new box.

In Australia we've been on digital for sometime and analog got switched off about a year or two after allowing people to prepare antennas, TVs etc. Think the origin of poster still had analog going until now.

InvalidError

Distinguished

How many people sign up for cable only for channels they could or should be able to get free OTA? The instant you want ONE cable-only channel, you need the STB even if you are correct about cable companies having to pass OTA to cable as clear-QAM.

As I wrote in my previous post, encryption eliminates the need to police the cable network for pirate taps since they are rendered useless by lack of device authentication and authorization. I'd be a little surprised if OTA channels got a special exception as it would enable theft of that service. I tried a quick googling for clear QAM channels on cable and the only list I found tells me that Rogers Cable only has FM stations packed in a single clear-QAM channel.

Dec 26, 2018

No. Our system does not use cable boxes. The reason they are just doing this now is because this is a tiny cable company that we are forced to use because this is all that serves the area.

Dec 26, 2018

Our system does not encrypt and I should also include (sorry I forgot this before) that two other tv's in our home, pick up everything. It's just this one LG tv. It's not the cable. They were actually out today and boosted the signal to +6 Db.

Dec 26, 2018

Thank you for trying to help us, but we don't have a cable box. Our cable is provided in an unencrypted format that this TV should be able to pick up. But it doesn't. The Samsung and the Sony (our other TV's) pick it up fine. It's just this one TV. We actually pick up around 6 channels out of more than 60.

Dec 26, 2018

Thank you for your assistance. I truly appreciate it.

The signal was measured as we disconnected the cable and plugged it into the meter to measure the signal and it's 6 Db above what's necessary. It's not the signal. It's the TV. Like I was saying, we called LG and they were unhelpful. The TV is only 2 years old and worked fine before they converted from analog to digital.

Dec 26, 2018

We did that. Twice actually and it still didn't work. (the factory reset). Sadly, I can't move the tv around. It's huge and mounted above a fireplace way up high.

We will never buy an LG tv again...that's for sure.

Dec 26, 2018

From what I have been reading, more than likely there's a problem with the internal tuner of the TV.

I'd request a Set Top Box from your cable company to test thing out. If it works, with the set top box, then argue they should let you keep it at no charge. They made the change. You should not need to replace your TV for a change they made.

-Wolf sends

Solution