LG tv to LG DVD home theatre can't get 5.1 surround sound

jothman

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Hi peeps,

So I have an

LG tv with three hdmi port, HDMI port 1 is arc and the other two are regular hdmi.
I also have a LG DVD all in one home theatre which is connected to my tv via a hdmi cable (not sure if I need a special hdmi cable for 5.1)
I don't have a cable box so everything I watch is via my mac book pro which is connected via hdmi cable into port 3.
I have an optical cable running from my home theatre to tv but am only getting sound from two speakers and the sub.
I have checked settings within the DVD mode of the home theatre an am able to get sound from all speakers when doing a test. I also get full 5.1 when watch a DVD but I never use the DVD. Do I need some sort of adapter or cable, I have a coax on home theatre but not on tv.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Cheers

Solution
Check the audio output type settings on the TV. Change it if you have that option.
ARC requires that both the TV and HTS have ARC. It also have to be turned on in the TV and selected as the source on the HTS.
Some TVs will not output in surround sound. If yours won't then you can use an HDMI audio extractor in between the mac and the TV to provide an audio output without going through the TV.
Check the audio output type settings on the TV. Change it if you have that option.
ARC requires that both the TV and HTS have ARC. It also have to be turned on in the TV and selected as the source on the HTS.
Some TVs will not output in surround sound. If yours won't then you can use an HDMI audio extractor in between the mac and the TV to provide an audio output without going through the TV.

Solution