LG TV (Youtube) surround sound???

footyman007

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Hi. I have a 55inch LG TV 55uf680t. I have connected my Samsung surround system to the hdmi port 1 as well as a digital optical cable.

When I watch tv, movies from my USB or cable tv, I get full surround sound.
However when I watch YouTube clips from the lg app, only the front speakers work. I have tried different videos and even a surround sound test from YouTube videos and the rear speakers don't work. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

LaserNinja11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I think it could be because most YouTube videos arent recorded/ produced in surroubd sound. Which is why videos and music sounds god awful when using a virtual surround sound headset. So there is no fix if the videos are only made in stereo sound. Try doing a 7.1 speaker sound test ( search it up on YouTube) if it still only plays though the two speakers see if there are any settings in the app that control surround sound if not then sorry i cant help you

footyman007

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Thanks LaserNinja... I actually have tried a surround sound test from a YouTube video and they still don't work. Instead of playing the rear speakers, they play the front two speakers only.

LaserNinja11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Yeah aha i believe youtube currently only supports stereo videos. Makes sense as most video editibg softwares dont have an option to render a videos audio in 5.1/7.1 only stereo and mono. And also considering there are no surround sound microphones either ( only bi-directional)