LG's New OLED TV is 'Cheapest' Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Distinguished
OLED's mainstream days will come. The road to more cost-efficient manufacturing is just much longer than anyone expected but once we get there, they should become much cheaper than LCDs.

Merry_Blind

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
4K TVs are redundant. OLED TVs seem amazing though. Not only is there virtually no 4K content available, but a lot of average joe consumers actually don't even notice the difference between 720p and 1080p to begin with.

Also, when you think about it, 4K TVs only benefit 4K content (well duh! I know), and that's to be expected, however, OLED benefits ALL content, HD or not. The colours are better, the contrasts, the motion resolution, everything. That means not only your HD super-charged PC will look better, but also your Nintendo 64 or VHS.

BleedingEdgeTek

Estimable
May 29, 2014
OLED's mainstream days will come. The road to more cost-efficient manufacturing is just much longer than anyone expected but once we get there, they should become much cheaper than LCDs.

Where do you get that they will eventually cost much less than LCDs?

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well actually they have found out in the tests that 1080p material look better in 4K screens than normal 1080p screens thanks to upscaling. Not as good as pure 4K material, but still better.
So it is really hard to say if Oled 1080p is better or worse than lcd 4K.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I assume because in time, there won't be any LCD's except at pawn shops lol.

Anyway, I sooo want OLED in all my displays, I wish i had the money for this TV, wish it came in 24in for computer monitors ;;

OLED is absolutely beautiful, vibrant display with excellent picture quality, but most of all, excellent colours. So far though, IPS LED displays are close, but not quite to OLED.

But give it time and we'll see OLED enter more markets and price ranges^^

Merry_Blind

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
Well actually they have found out in the tests that 1080p material look better in 4K screens than normal 1080p screens thanks to upscaling. Not as good as pure 4K material, but still better.

Well I think that might simply be due to superior upscaling algorithms/better processor used in those specific TVs since they're newer/more expensive. I'm sure new OLED TVs will have great upscalers too, in addition to improving the colours, blacks, contrasts, and motion resolution.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002

Well I think that might simply be due to superior upscaling algorithms/better processor used in those specific TVs since they're newer/more expensive. I'm sure new OLED TVs will have great upscalers too, in addition to improving the colours, blacks, contrasts, and motion resolution.

Once you're in 1080p there is no upscaling to 1080p.

Merry_Blind

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014

Once you're in 1080p there is no upscaling to 1080p.

I know. We were talking about all content, not just 1080p content, well that is, if his comment was actually in response to my 1st one like I assumed it was :p.

What I said is that OLED benefits all content, whereas 4K only benefits 4K. Then he basically said "4K benefit 1080p too" as in, 4K has the benefit of upscaling well compared to OLED which 'only' upscales to 1080p.

I know I'm not that clear but can'T bother to elaborate more than that. Just read the comments lol

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I saw one at Best Buy not too long ago. Very cool but doesn't make sense to have it curved for screens smaller than 60".

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
It is time to move beyond 1080p at high level HDTVs. I'm in the market for 4K but am waiting for more 4K TV manufacturers to offer more input options for the PC (display port specifically). As someone who PC games with a 1440p now as well as a 1080p 55" for the PS3 & PS4, it is senseless to buy another large screen 1080p no matter how gorgeous it is (the display quality of my 42" 1080p bedroom plasma blows away the quality of my 55" LED by far, so I'm stranger to high level contrast and color qualities).

I'm sure there will be a market for OLED, but as 4K continues to drop in price as the market matures, OLED will be more delegated to an extreme niche market. The vast majority of HDTV buyers out there are going to go for the latest and greatest in their next big HDTV purchase, and it's not going to be 1080p with killer display tech. Good luck selling that to the masses.

USAFRet

Illustrious
60" DLP's used to cost $3000. They are not made anymore
60" LCD's used to cost $3000. Now you can get one for $900
60" LED's used to cost $3000. Now you can get one for $900

OLED will come down in price, and there will be some new doodad that costs $3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.