Lightning fried HDMI Ports, Do I need to change cables too?

micromusicmom

Commendable
May 10, 2016
Lightning strike fried the hdmi ports on my samsung smart tv, along with cable and blu ray player. Do I need to replace my (2) 35 ft ($300)-tv to box, tv to blu ray HDMI cables as well, or were they spared at the expense of the ports?

n9zn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Go to a website like E-bay or Amazon and SEARCH for your TV model number plus the word main board. IE: "TC-P42st30 main board" would be a search for my Panasonic TV. If your cable works with another TV or in another HDMI port on you affected TV the cable is fine. My guess is you will need to replace the main board to solve this problem with your HDMI connection on the TV. Replacing a board is easy and cost a WHOLE LOT LESS MONEY than a TV repairman would charge you.

wpgwpg

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
The ports are much more sensitive to this kind of thing, so normally I'd think the cables would be OK. I'd at least hold off thinking about cable replacement until the ports have been repaired or replaced.

Good luck.

n9zn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Go to a website like E-bay or Amazon and SEARCH for your TV model number plus the word main board. IE: "TC-P42st30 main board" would be a search for my Panasonic TV. If your cable works with another TV or in another HDMI port on you affected TV the cable is fine. My guess is you will need to replace the main board to solve this problem with your HDMI connection on the TV. Replacing a board is easy and cost a WHOLE LOT LESS MONEY than a TV repairman would charge you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
I Streaming Video & TVs 0
I Streaming Video & TVs 0
J Streaming Video & TVs 3
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 3
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
W Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 2