Line-In Mic muting itself every 5-10 or 15 seconds. (Please Help!)

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
So I figured it out, My mic is Stereo mix, apparently. I can hear myself with it, and my friend can hear me. But it keeps muting itself! I had this problem before with another mic, but I don't really remember how to fix it. Help? Allow Other apps to take exclusive control is off, I disabled Automatically adjust microphone volume in skype, I set the Communications option To Do Nothing. Theres no svchost.exe under my name, and yes i've tried restarting. What's going on?

Solution
EDIT: I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!! :DDD I Just closed A LOT of tasks with CMD, Using "tasklist" I killed A LOT of tasks that were, as far as it goes, unused, and it hasn't muted itself! I'm so happy! Thank you for your help! Btw! :D Another Edit: It was Microsoft Resgister Server, it had 3 going at one in the Details tab of Task manager, and I killed the three of them with CMD at the same time so they don't come back, and it worked! :D
Any pattern to when the "muting" happens?

It appears you have looked into and worked with the Recording devices configuration tabs. Go back and doublecheck. All too easy to sometimes overlook some deeper property setting via a Tab or some "Advanced settings" selection.

What microphone and connections are you using? Is there a manual mute button? Can you cause a mute by gently wiggling and twisting the wires and plugs?

What sound card? Is the sound card firmly seated in place?

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Hello! Thank you for your reply! I've been looking for help, for HOURS. Anyways: Yes, I have checked just in case, over 10 times (literally) to make sure I didn't have anything enabled. I have a Kotion Each G4000 Headset, and its mic is the mic I'm using (Its mic is not apearing in the devices, or disable devices, and Stereo Mix works as its mic for some reason.) Yes there is a mute button, I can't cause a mute by wiggling it no. Yeah there is a pattern. It mutes itself, and sets its volume to 0 in about 5-10 seconds of being unmuted and adjuste. I have a SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio sound card. And it is definetly placed firmly, and correctly. Oh yeah I'm using the two front Line-In jacks for the headset. I'm really stumped. I don't know what could be happening. EDIT: So I found out my ACTUAL Device is listed! Problem is, its still muting itself! :(

"Two front Line-in jacks for the headset" - on the front of the computer versus directly into the sound card in the back?

What sound card driver version is installed? Do you have a webcam with a built in microphone?

Do you have the combination plugs: 1/8" (3.5 mm) TRS ping ringed tip, 1/8" (3.5mm TRS) green ringed tip, and a USB connector?

Two lines of thought: 1) you may not have the correct drivers installed and/or there may be some loose or missing connectivity between the audio card and the front ports.

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

I have the latest version installed. No I don't have a Webcam, or one with a built in mic.

Yeah I've got the Green (Headphone jack) and pink (Mic jack) and they work totally fine, I also found out its not just my mic, its all my other Recording devices, they all mute and set to 0 at the same time.
They're correct, I made sure :). And I don't think its loose, I've seen them and they're fine. :p

Going to fall back on another tool: Event Viewer.

Open Event Viewer and familarize yourself with the information and structure being presented. No harm in looking about. You can right-click on any given log entry for more information.

Start looking for processes or services that start or stop at or just before the muting occurs. At this time I would expect that if there were any related log entries there will be quite of number of them. Maybe just a warning or informational entry. Look for anything audio related or related to the applications being used.

If you do not note anything immediately apparent, keep Event Viewer open and go through a few of the mutings while monitoring the various logs.

Some logs may have no or few entries. Other logs may be very lengthy. Key is to be persistant and observant. See if anything shows up.

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Thanks! I'll look into it, I'll go find the tool right now, and see what's going on. Thanks again! I'll come back and let you know what happens :) EDIT: I'm silly, didn't know its built in with windows 8 lol, also, I can't really figure Event Viewer out, How do I know what to look for? Or what should I look for?

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Hey is there a chat or something we can talk on to make this easier? Or do you just prefer here? EDIT: I tried multiple System restore points, but everytime it just says "System Restore Failed, none of your files have been changed.

System restore failed while copying the registry files"

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Sorry for another post, but I did try pluging the headset and mic jack into the back jacks (Into The multiple jacks into the back trying to see which ones are right) But none of them work for my headphones, and the mic still mutes itself. EDIT: Hey! I found my mic I think in Event Viewer! Right as my mic muted, It showed me the exact time it was muted in Glitches, and said this! "Engine Glitch: CP Server Output Endpoint - Read Pointer Overwrite: pCCrossProcessServerOutputEndpoint=[0x5aae310070] WriteOffset=[2908] ReadOffset=[2908] BytesToWrite=[440]"

Excellent!

Will openly concede that I do not know what all that means. However, I do know that if you do some "googling" using that Event Message there is a very good chance that something will turn up.

For example I googled "pCCrossProcessServerOutputEndpoint".

And found this link (among others):

http://superuser.com/questions/881533/windows-audio-stopping-intermittently

Not going to "shotgun" a bunch of links to you. Just take a look at the above link and maybe google a few variations on the Event Entry words.

See if a directly relevant link turns up that matches your system and other things you know about it.

And yes, posting is a bit cumbersome but it does keep everyone following (if anyone) in the loop. That is an advantage because someone else may recognize the problem and offer a specifc fix accordingly. And that is an advantage of working within the forum.

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Yeah I found that post too while googling the issue, I couldn't find any service similar to what he was talking about, or anything like that for my audio service. And I looked at a lot of other links for that error, and nothing helpful came up :/.

Same here - nothing immediately helpful via my searches. Some software bug.

Try turning off as many applications, devices, etc. as possible. Clear the logs and see if muting occurs - hopefully not. Then bring back everything disabled one at a time. See if the muting starts with some specific device or app.

May need to go through that process two or three times in case there is some "perfect storm" problem related to the start up order.

Tedious but could narrow down the source of the errror.

Otherwise work through reinstalling your device drivers; make sure all are correct and up to date. May be some bug that was just quietly fixed by the manufactuer....

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

I really wish there was a program to see any logs relating to your mic, or anything muting it, or using it haha lol.
I found another glitch/error in the logs. It was this Engine Glitch: CP Server Input Endpoint - Starvation: pCCrossProcessServerInputEndpoint=[0x229a651ff0] WriteOffset=[2048] ReadOffset=[2048] BufferSize=[7680] BytesAvail=[3840]"

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
Bump: I made a Windows Hotkey to unmute it whenever it gets muted, and I have a script the resets the volume to my set volume for the mic, but problem is, I can't use the Unmute keybind in any games, which sucks, and I can't figure out how to make it work.

In Event Viewer (on the right side) there is an Actions pane where you can filter the current log.

Set up a filter to narrow down the presented errors.

And you can also sort by clicking the error log column names.

[Note: Powershell can be used as well via Get-EventLog. More work but could prove worthwhile.]

If you identify the process, service, application causing the error message then that will indicate what may need to be reinstalled or reconfigured.

Go into the Event Properties of the log entry. Look at General and Detail tabs. Scroll around and look for anything that might indicate the problem's origin.

Use Task Manager and Performance Monitor to see if you can map to some PID (Process ID).

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Nothing that necissarily sticks out to Me. But I did take a screenshot of the Details tab, and the General tab. This was Details: https://i.gyazo.com/b1bbcbc401ee01e643e2962cab51fc88.png this was General: https://i.gyazo.com/1ba37d2e48962acf53c4c2e2282dd685.png

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Couldn't find anything in Services, or details, nothing with The Thread ID or the Pid.