Linking two Logitech speaker systems Together ?

Blunderfluff

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
I have two Logitech PC speaker systems.

Logitech Z5500 digital speakers
Logitech Z906 speakers

The control hub for the Z5500's crapped out years ago, but to my knowledge the speakers are in working order.

I was just wondering if it's possible to run both amps together to provide a singular output. The only obvious problem I can see is that the output on the Z5500 is some wacky looking male VGA adapter. It also appears that I threw out the defective Z5500 control hub. The only remnants being the 3.5mm audio jacks that would normally bridge the control hub to a PC audio panel.

Seems a waste to throw out the Z5500 speakers as they are beautiful and pack a good punch.

Solution
Looks like the replacement pod is just analogue which you'll be able to run surround without any compression which sound processing does with optical dolby/dts.

If there is a problem with the cap i mentioned inside the sub, not sure how if it will affect the replacement pod. It might not at all if optical / other power requirements for the pod to work aren't needed with this type of manual pod.

For the bypass, looking at it again and thinking, think it'll do the same thing as the replacement pod. The wires has volume controls for each channel so i'd imagine the pod would be better cable management.

Combining different speaker sets from the PC audio output jacks with Y splitters so each amp receives the same signal. So you'll have...

Blunderfluff

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Crud, I was afraid of that.

Would you know if there is a way to discern which of those terminals on the VGA port is responsible for just the audio signal ? Their are 15 individual terminals/pins to that interface.

Actually scrap that idea. I just realized I would still need to tap into volume control and input methods. So turf it ?

I have found an adapter on Ebay that is VGA to RCA. The product states you can hook that up to a receiver. In that instance, would the speakers connected to the receiver be driven by the sub-woofer Amp ?

I'm not sure if I can post Ebay listings here. I can post the link if that's not against the rules.

Blunderfluff

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

The control pod suffered from what I presume to be the same infamous defect as many other reported cases, where something in the control pod fizzes out. There were parts available on Ebay to circumvent it, but it would not offer full functionality of the control pod, such as audio processing etc.

The symptoms in my case was the control pod simply failed to power up at all. I have since discarded the control pod.

I'll keep the satellite speakers, but it breaks my heart to dispose of a perfectly good high powered Amp and woofer- especially true since I can't seem to source another PC audio system that rivals it in power output.

boju

Distinguished
ah heck, shame because things like that are often caused by a capacitor (if located of course) worth no more than a couple of bucks.

I recently repaired an avr of mine with an 80c capacitor (yeah, an 80c capacitor the size of a small coin brought down the whole unit) with luck finding this page on whirlpool.

This video was posted in 2014 so might've lucked out before seeing it.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1U7mkc_47s"][/video]

Was hoping you could attempt, did you discard the sub unite or just the pod? There are pod replacements but sounds like you threw out the sub unit :(

boju

Distinguished
Sorry re-read your post, you've kept the sub but threw out the control pod. So if you can get an replacement pod and an 25v or 35v 4700uf capacitor, open up the sub unit and locate that capacitor. If its a similar problem where this capacitor controls the pod you'll be in luck.

Blunderfluff

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks for the info Boju. I can't actually recall throwing the Pod out, but having just found the rather weighty volume wheel for it in the speaker box and nothing else might suggest I did just that.

Just regarding the bypass kit and make-shift replacement pod, how would you toggle audio inputs like Optical/Auxiliary with either unit ? I'm guessing sound processing is out of the question too with those options.

The replacement pod looks by far to be the best solution. The lack of optical input and processing modes is a major bummer though. Good to know I can use a Y splitter to link them. Does make me wonder though if the two signals will be compatible once fed through a single wire. In that instance, would I in fact be getting the combined output from both Amps ?

boju

Distinguished
Looks like the replacement pod is just analogue which you'll be able to run surround without any compression which sound processing does with optical dolby/dts.

If there is a problem with the cap i mentioned inside the sub, not sure how if it will affect the replacement pod. It might not at all if optical / other power requirements for the pod to work aren't needed with this type of manual pod.

For the bypass, looking at it again and thinking, think it'll do the same thing as the replacement pod. The wires has volume controls for each channel so i'd imagine the pod would be better cable management.

Combining different speaker sets from the PC audio output jacks with Y splitters so each amp receives the same signal. So you'll have 5.1 x2 essentially. Only negative thing could happen is halving the PC's audio amp's power so you'll probably find needing to turn up the speaker volume bit more.

Solution