Liquid cooling my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
So here is the deal, I have an Asus G71G X-1 and It (in my opinion) gets way too hot. The GPU sits at around 60c - 75c. when gaming it gets much worse. I never move this laptop so im not worried about it being stuck in one place (I bought it when i was deployed to Iraq, thats why i went for a notebook)Im trying to liquid cool the CPU and GPU and maybe even the north bridge. Im not even worried about the laptop chassis. If I have to do some modding, its ok. I just need to know what water blocks i can use to fit on the T9400 - CPU and the 9800m GS - VGA, as well as a awesome external water system. Thank you!

frozenlead

Distinguished
AFAIK, you can't buy specific blocks for mobile sockets, especially concerning the GPU and northbridge area. You have to custom manufacture them yourself.

And try not to hit the post button 3 times.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
like mix matching different water blocks with different socket sets. Or wouldnt it be easier to just mod a existing socket set? And if I was going to mod and existing socket set what socket would be closest to the socket on my rig?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Mobile sockets are different than their desktop counterparts. There is no socket set that fits, stock, onto your mobile socket. As for modifying one...it's anyone's guess. There's no precedence in the field you're flying. All you can do is measure, buy, and try.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Well, I guess that pretty much puts newegg out of the equation. But I am going through with this. I found a good cooler at koolance that im going to use. I also found some server water blocks that have a low profile that I will look into. I know the block is going to be alot bigger then the die and thats ok as long as I can mount it. I have any tool you could think of at my finger tips so modding something like this wouldnt be to hard im thinking. the NB will be a whole different story though. But I figure I should just master that GPU first and go from there. Can I use Arctic silver5 on a GPU? I really have no idea what kind of paste to even use on GPUs...

frozenlead

Distinguished
You can use any paste you want on the GPU.

If the machine's northbridge already has a heatsink, you can probably get some sheets of aluminum/copper (depending on what the heatsink is, to avoid a galvanic reaction), box in the sink, and put pipes in the top for the coolant. IMO, the northbridge will be much easier than the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.