Prioritize Laptop CPU or GPU cooling.

ANDREW3019

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
I currently have an old ASUS ROG laptop, with a 970M and a 6700HQ, the laptop itself has terrible cooling, and it has worsened over the course of a year. I am currently not using the 1080p laptop screen(lid closed) and using a 2k monitor for gaming. I can get 60 fps on games at 2k, at medium settings.

The only problem is that when the shit hits the fan, this happens:
1. GPU gets to ~80 and starts annoying unplayable fps drops
2. CPU gets to ~90 and the system shuts down.

I have a cooling pad under the laptop (55 cfm or whatever unit) and it makes no difference.

I bought a vacuum cooling thing that takes air out from the exhaust vent, and I was wondering if it would be better to cool the CPU or the GPU (i only have 1 of these)

Thank

Solution
the vacuum honestly is not a very good solution as it might cause the fan to spin faster than it should(or spin the other way around).have u done a repaste?i suggest doing so if u havent done it in years.also disable your intel turbo boost to keep the temp down if u havent done a repaste.
the vacuum honestly is not a very good solution as it might cause the fan to spin faster than it should(or spin the other way around).have u done a repaste?i suggest doing so if u havent done it in years.also disable your intel turbo boost to keep the temp down if u havent done a repaste.

Solution