List of known web browser toolbars?

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I am looking for a list of known toolbars that install in a web browser. This is the good and the bad toolbars.The sites I have found claim to have a list of toolbars, but they're out of date that I get a 404.

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I don't expect people to look them up individually. I expected these toolbars to have been kept track of as part of a security audit or something. Like by an anti-virus company. I'm wondering if such a list exists. I'm not expecting it to be absolutely every single one, but most of the popular/infamous ones.

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Benefit? Not much. I only consider the major ones like Google or Bing to be acceptable. But even ones like Ask and I think Symantech/Norton have done questionable things with toolbars.

Well, I was looking for a way to detect toolbars. I thought about doing it by name, but it's possible some don't call it a toolbar.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You don't detect them by name, you detect them by behavior. Which is what Malwarebytes does.

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Right. I wasn't entirely sure what kind of behavior was consistent among toolbars. Like what they all do in common. Of course, if I did it by name, some would slip through simply because they had a different name.

I did find this: http://www.spywareinfoforum.info/toolbars/ but their link to the list no longer exists. So there IS a decent compilation of toolbars out there. And it does give a decent explanation of how they work. Hopefully that'll be enough...