Living in France, I have a new Sony SRS-XB20 BLUETOOTH speaker and would like to charge it on a Thomson tv with usb output of

Nov 29, 2017
Living in France with new Sony SRS-XB20 BLUETOOTH speaker and I have no home computer, can I charge the speaker from the Thomson tv with usb output of 5v and 0.5A ...and what kind of cable do I need and can I buy it on Amazon?

Solution
Most USB ports on Tv's are set more for input than output. The USB3 on laptops and pc's is rated upto 5A output for charging purposes although generally the USB2 run closer to 2A unless specified otherwise. I doubt that the TV at 0.5A carries enough current to actually charge anything. A standard mini/micro USB wall charger (depending on actual port) is usually enough.
Most of these speakers are charged with ordinary MicroUSB cable, as you will find on everyday Android phones. Here is one Amazon sells.

Whether your TV' USB connector will supply enough power to charge the speaker is unknown. I would rather check with the speaker' manual what kind of charger is needed.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Most USB ports on Tv's are set more for input than output. The USB3 on laptops and pc's is rated upto 5A output for charging purposes although generally the USB2 run closer to 2A unless specified otherwise. I doubt that the TV at 0.5A carries enough current to actually charge anything. A standard mini/micro USB wall charger (depending on actual port) is usually enough.

Solution
Manual for the speaker states it would take 12 hours to charge at .5a
The TV may have to be turned on for the USB to be active. If that's the case it won't be practical even if you were OK with the charging time.
Manual also states that 1.5a would take 4 hours so I suggest that a 1.5a USB charger would make more sense. Use it with the same cable.