Lock Your PC with Phone When You Walk Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This would only work for men - women typically don't take their cell phones with them in their pockets - when they grab lunch, go to the bathroom, etc. they leave their phone in their purse locked in a drawer or something

G

This would only work for men - women typically don't take their cell phones with them in their pockets - when they grab lunch, go to the bathroom, etc. they leave their phone in their purse locked in a drawer or something

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
A simple app that I wouldn't even use if it was free, and it only supports 32-bit OSes.

I have a button on my mouse that locks my computer, a quick tap before I get out of my chair and my computer is locked.

This is crap software and crap news, and what I surprise, look who reported it.

todicamer

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
This solution existed in Ubuntu out of the box long time ago:
http://technogra.ph/20080309/sections/downloads/blueproximity-walking-away-to-lock-your-computer/
, in windows: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2008/03/automatically_lock_your_computer_when_you_walk_away_with_blue_lock-2/

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Lol. Blutooth? lol. If it could do it via a text or the Internet that would be cool. But the current method is just stupid. But alas there is a sucker born every second.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]hellscook[/nom]I think the simple Win key + L works best.[/citation]

Exactly. I guess having to manipulate a couple of keys was way to taxing on our lazy world today. Why do I feel like we are on a fast track to becoming the society that was portrayed in Wall-E?

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
So what happens when you get to work and realize you forgot your cell phone? How do you unlock your computer? Will your employer dock your pay for the time it takes to go home, get the paired cell phone and get back to work?

It really seems frivolous and ridiculous. If someone works for a company that is that security conscious, then they need to develop good security habits on their own. This doesn't even qualify as idiot-proofing. (As Robert Heinlein said, it's extremely difficult to make anything idiot-proof because idiots are so darned ingenious.)

G

So... it's all right for companies to use bluetooth to unlock their computers but Microsoft removed the ability to sync your mobile device with ActivSync via bluetooth... :-\

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
seriously if its that difficult for you to hit WINDOW KEY L and sign in, you probably shouldnt have a desk job... seriously, think about quitting because putting a password isnt anywhere near DIFFICULT or TEDIOUS AT ALL. You are just pathetic in life.

G

Even if it worked perfectly and you wanted this kind of functionality in your workplace - it only works for men- women typically leave their cell phones in their purses locked in a drawer whenever they go out for coffee or a bathroom break.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Why all the hostility? I for one think it's a neat concept. I use a strong password...having to type it in every time I go to the bathroom, hit the water cooler, or go on a call can be frustrating, and that leads to people not locking their PC at all, or choosing an easier password.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Ideally, this app (I still like the open-source Bluelock app...) would still let you ctrl-alt-delete and enter your password to unlock even if the bluetooth is gone. If it's SMART it would then know to keep its function disabled until you manually turn it back on or the device again enters range.

Yagame

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Floats Mobile Agent ("fma") has been doing this for years and for free!!!

Granted, I couldnt get it to work on my devices cause I wasnt patient....but still!

todicamer

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Yep is true, i currently use this product(FMA) with my Sony Ericsson k850 for more than a year. But FMA only block your computer and no has unlock functionality (must use ctrl+alt+del to unlock).

[citation][nom]Yagame[/nom]Floats Mobile Agent ("fma") has been doing this for years and for free!!!Granted, I couldnt get it to work on my devices cause I wasnt patient....but still![/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.