Logitech Revue Will Be First Google TV Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I'll have to see it in person for my own judgment, but $299.00 sounds a bit steep for something like this.

I do hope it comes with a Wireless G/N card installed. Not everyone has CAT5 running to the living room.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
The device will also be available to DISH Network subscribers for a discounted price of $179--the discount only applies to one unit per household.

I thought I read that a Dish dvr would work as a Google TV box? Now they're going to try to sell me another device? No thanks, I'll just keep using my Roku box and HTPC for internet TV on my sets.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
however it supposedly works with any Harmony remote or Android device
So I'll be able to control the Revue with my wife's Nook? Um... cool I guess. However, I don't think you really mean that.

Still, I don't think the Revue does much with real TV. Sure, it can download listings off the Internet and tell my cable box what channel to tune to, but my cable box and DVR still do the heavy lifting. If this thing was Cable-card capable, I could skip the cable box entirely. Wasn't that the whole point of that Cable-card fiasco? This device is about halfway there. When I can do without the cable companies box for digital cable, you let me know.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Even at $179 it is to high, IMO, many existing media boxes already do much of the same for around $100.[/citation]

YeaH BUT CAN IT RUN.....

Android?

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
As an aside, the plan for the Chrome OS comes more and more clear. Android is for anything that is NOT a PC, and Chrome OS is for anything that IS a pc. "Chrome is for netbooks" my ass. Direct competitor to Microsoft.

benzaza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
My question is the following: do we know or can we speculate if we can plug in an external HD to play movies,listen to music on the TV via to the Logitech Box ?

that would definitevelt eliminate having a PC connected to the TV.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]I'll have to see it in person for my own judgment, but $299.00 sounds a bit steep for something like this.I do hope it comes with a Wireless G/N card installed. Not everyone has CAT5 running to the living room.[/citation]

You have to understand, this is more or less going to be the target market price for all devices such as this. Apple TV, Google TV, and others. They are all pricing themselves in the range of everyone else, while trying to sell you on certain features "only available on ours"

eaclou

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
What the heck does it do that makes it worth $300? I can't see why it costs so much when all it does is connect to the internet...

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
A couple of questions:

1) At that price, why not just buy an XBox or similar?

2) Do I really want Google snooping into my TV watching habits?

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Didn't apple just refresh the iTv and drop it down to 99 bucks? What is logitech thinking with this? You can't do anything special that the iTv can do. All the new Samsung TV's can now get on facebook and twitter.

ooo it can organize the channel lineup. Directv does this already. you just press guide twice.

danglang23

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Why all the criticism? This thing can do things an Xbox can't do and its easier for most people than a HTPC. Not everyone is a Tomshardware regular you know.

Think the price is steep? According to b4tea.com it has and Intel Atom Z515 1.2 GHz processor and 4 GB memory. I'm pretty sure similar net tops are around the same price point and I'd take the usability of GoogleTV over a bloated HTPC any day. If they add blu-ray it would be super-win.

jasons132

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
hi my name is Jason, I am a dish network employee that just happens to be a internet junkie. The best thing I have found about the Revue is being able to keep up on my social network pages while a commercial is on, lets me multitask right from the sofa.

Status
Not open for further replies.