Logitech Z506 subwoofer buzz

Vladislav Antonov

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
hi everyone,I have logitech z506 speakers from a few years and they've been working great,but recently my subwoofer is having a buzzing sound(like zzzzz) when im listening music with very low frequency bass(like Ambiance,chillout..etc)I don't have this problem when gaming or watching movies,but its very annoying when listening to music,the noise itself isn't very loud.At first I thought there are some wires touching the port(thats where the buzzing comes from),so I opened my subwoofer,but everything seemed ok,next thing I did was put a pair of socks into the port :D that actually helped a bit,the buzzing stopped on some songs,but it seems to be even louder on others...I checked all the screws but they are tight,also ,the sub is away from my PC and TV so there shouldn't be any interference.Please can you suggest something else I can do to make the buzz go away? also,if not,maybe its time to upgrade to new speakers?im looking at some 5.1 home cinema all in one systems,what about this? http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=at&ctn=HTD3510/12 will it have a much better sound quality?I am using my PC connected to my tv with hdmi to watch blueray movies,gaming,music (mp3s mostly,rarely flac)I have a small room and I don't really care about total power(loudness)I can't even max out my z506,I just want very high quality and very nice boom on explosions/grenades in games:)

Solution
Sounds like the subwoofer driver is bad but I have had a bad amp cause a noise like this too. You could try replacing the woofer but it is usually hard to get parts.
Check out www.parts-express.com and see if they have something that will fit. Don't know where you are but there is probably a local website that is similar.
At that price the philips is probably ok but see if you can find one with a tweeter and mid woofer in the satellites. That will probably be clearer than the single speaker that the Philips has.
Sounds like the subwoofer driver is bad but I have had a bad amp cause a noise like this too. You could try replacing the woofer but it is usually hard to get parts.
Check out www.parts-express.com and see if they have something that will fit. Don't know where you are but there is probably a local website that is similar.
At that price the philips is probably ok but see if you can find one with a tweeter and mid woofer in the satellites. That will probably be clearer than the single speaker that the Philips has.

Solution

Vladislav Antonov

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014

good advice thanks,my budget is around 200$ that I can spent,can you recommend any other home cinema systems?

I would suggest an Onkyo package if they have one in that price range. Otherwise if you can find one that has a self powered sub rather than have the sub amp inside the receiver that will allow for easier upgrades in the future (the sub will have it's own power cord and connect to the receiver with an interconnect rather than speaker wire).