Logitech Z906 with digital optical 5.1 sound Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casepb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
I'm not really understanding how to get 5.1 sound to work with the z906 speaker system using the digital optical input. It works fine with the 3 analog inputs (6 channel direct cables). I have a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 and it has a Creative Sound Core 3D built in with SBX Pro Studio Audio Suite. So I just plugged the digital optical cable into my motherboard.

So in Windows I selected the SPDIF-Out as my default. When I do the Test on it, it only plays sound from the front left and right speakers. However, if I go into its properties and go the Supported Formats tab and test either DTS Audio or Dolby Digital it plays correctly with all 5 speakers. So I know it's possible to have 5.1 sound with digital optical, but when using the creative control panel and games it acts like I only have 2.1 audio and it just plays the same sound through all channels. Very confused on why this is so complex.

Oh also the z906 seems to force these "Effects" on when using digital optical. I can't seem to disable them for some reason. It cycles between 3D, 4.1 and 2.1. They all just seem to be stereo sound playing through all channels.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwGp-msMx6B4dTFhUUpGNTE3cTA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwGp-msMx6B4dE5VeDBWbTV0Z3c

nitinvaid20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
select play sterio mix to digital output
i have the same speakers but my soundcard is different and using the opticable too but i dont use spidf output in sound options as it disables the DAC done by the soundcard.
if you are using the SPIDF the speaker should show Decode led only when the audio contents are played only Digital one like play a DTS movie with Mediaplayer Classic and you should tick the SPIDF in its Audio format in ffdshow then it will decode and use all the 5.1 speakers

Casepb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah I did try the "Play stereo mix to digital output" but it seems to just do the same thing, play the same audio through all speakers. Games don't really have true 5.1 from what I can tell. I also still can't disable the "Effects" settings on the speakers. So can no game play in true 5.1 sound then? Also curious which effect do you use? I read most just go with 4.1, but then that disabled the center speaker.

nitinvaid20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I just Use the Optical Cable as the input otherthen that i dont use SPID/F i use default sound as speakers creative and let do the soundcard do the decoding then it will pass it to the speakers it will use decoding then and with this settings you canuse the soudblaster software too

Casepb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Right, I get how you do it. I'm trying it out now as well, and when Speakers are set to Default the control panel does work. But still it's the same sounds in all channels to me. Also I'm noticing my Decode light never comes on. Usually it's the 3D light or whatever Effect I have it set as currently. The only time I have ever seen my decode light come on is when I did the Test for DTS or Dolby Digital in properties. I also do have the "Play stereo mix to digital output" enabled.

nitinvaid20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

if you want ill upload my settings to you when i get back home

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I know that optical does not support PCM multi-channel audio, but it will support compressed formats (cant remember which). SO according to logitech the system has a surround decoder, so you should send compressed surround formats.

compressed-decoded-pcm-DAC

^from the above, This logitech system needs to be fed compressed format surround which will then get decoded at the system. So you basically need to ensure that what you are sending through the optical cable is the compressed DTS bit stream. Honestly i dont know the details, but i only use optical for 2 channel audio because of this. Better to use HDMI for surround as it support multi channel PCM.

Casepb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
So from what I've been reading on other forums and just about digital optical in general is that, it is impossible to play any game in true 5.1 on PC. The game itself has to support DTS which no PC game does. So the only thing it can do is force 2 channel sound to play in all speakers creating a fake 5.1. The only way to get true 5.1 is through the analog inputs.

nitinvaid20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Selct DTS there

Casepb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

I can't because I do not have that tab in my control panel.

Casepb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

I am not sure. I installed the creative drivers again from the Gigabyte website and it never included Dolby Digital Live drivers. So maybe the Creative Sound Core 3D does not support it?

Just found this website with specs about my motherboard. It seems it does not support DDL or DTS. https://us.hardware.info/product/375348/gigabyte-aorus-z270x-gaming-7/specifications

So I'm guessing I need to buy a Sound Blaster Z if I want the dolby digital live options. I'm wondering is it worth it?

I'm thinking about just sticking with the analog inputs, I can't really seem to tell a difference in quality. I thought I could at first, but honestly the digital optical just sounds louder is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.