London to Turn 'Every Lamppost' into WiFi Hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]They might as well, they got a camera just about every ware one can go.[/citation]
Haha same idea. "Well they already have it wired with camera's so shouldn't be too hard to do"

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
That will be great if it is free or charge for a small fee. If that happen i'll cancel my cell phone contract with data plan and use skype all the way.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]It'll be cool to have Wifi available everywhere. It is a shame it is in a city like London though..[/citation]
A shame?
You mean it's a shame they don't have it elsewhere right? Not that the fact London will get it is a shame?

G

if each lamppost is a hotspots, does this mean if i am travelling down the street with 10 lamppost, it needs to disconnect/reconnect at every lamppost?

G

"Radiation Capital of the World" _might_ be a title given in the future, due to health concerns about Wifi. We've installed many Wifi networks for business, and uninstalled many because some are switching back to the traditional cat5 environment because employees are reportedly unable to work near Wifi, which is causing loss of revenue for that business. I'm unconvinced that Wifi is yet safe. The choice is individual, but do a little research first.

vartok

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
[citation][nom]johnw1990[/nom]if each lamppost is a hotspots, does this mean if i am travelling down the street with 10 lamppost, it needs to disconnect/reconnect at every lamppost?[/citation]

no, if they all have the same SID, the connection will handoff from one to another. Or atleast thats how my home repeater works with my iPod

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
"It will be interesting to see what happens to usage once the Olympic games have finished and everyone has flown home."

I believe the population of Greater London is around 12 million, I'm not sure everyone is going to leave after the Olympics!

jeremiahpope

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]stopthe_bomb[/nom]Ultimate torrent privacy...[/citation]

I could not agree more, Thats why no matter where I live I can always find someone who has not secured their wireless and then use dd-wrt on my linksys to create a repeater network for which all my activity will show up on their ip.

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Mike PB[/nom]"Radiation Capital of the World" _might_ be a title given in the future, due to health concerns about Wifi. We've installed many Wifi networks for business, and uninstalled many because some are switching back to the traditional cat5 environment because employees are reportedly unable to work near Wifi, which is causing loss of revenue for that business. I'm unconvinced that Wifi is yet safe. The choice is individual, but do a little research first.[/citation]
This just in...crazy old British man runs naked through the streets with a tinfoil hat...

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Good , but sad.
Increase of Cancer will be found after few years of this project.
Just like cellphones ....
This world is going so crazy.
Dont tell me It will not cause cancer because it still new and routers isnt like the Cellphones thingy...
They will explore it in 5 years.

G

Yeah, I too am thinking piracy. I wouldn't send any personal photos through their network though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS