Question Long BIOS time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2019
Hi,
I have a problem with my laptop.
BIOS time (time before even loading OS) is ridiculously slow and I have no idea how to fix it.
I takes around 25 seconds of black screen to start Windows 10 loading.
I have lenovo ideapad 720 with Phoenix SecureCore Technology Setup (I assume - BIOS name) ver. 6PCN21WW
OS is installed on 2000Mb/s read SSD drive, it is not a mistake, it is really the speed of this SSD.
In boot priority SSD is set in the first place, then Windows Boot Manager in second.

What could be possible cause of this problem?
Is there any way I can get log of booting process?

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
That really isn't a long time. Especially if the system is updating anything, which is common with Windows 10.

If the load time is before the manufacturers logo, that would be long. However, if that load time is after the logo, then it may well be things trying to install with/before Windows.

NOTE: Be careful what you do in here as you can cause yourself (and the computer) a world of problems.

You can try, once in Windows, in the search type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Click on the program in the list (may be only thing listed) that comes up.

Once in the program, click on the "Startup" tab and see what is loading when the system loads. Many things can get added here by programs you install. Just be extremely careful what programs you uncheck. If you don't know what it is, don't mess with it unless you have looked it up and are certain it isn't necessary.

Once done click "apply" and then it should prompt you to restart the computer. This may shorten the load time a bit, depending on what was starting and now won't be.

Additionally, do not mess with the other tabs in there unless you know what you are doing.

Oct 25, 2019
Thanks for reply!
I optimized everything on windows side. The problem is before booting OS I think.
The 20 sec blackscreen appears before manufacturers logo.
My laptop is using UEFI not old BIOS, my mistake sry.

Oct 25, 2019
After 20 sec of black screen lenovo logo appears and the windows is being loaded super fast, in less than 2 seconds so the problem is definitely with booting.

Oct 25, 2019
I am running the newest version of BIOS from manufacturer website.
Is there any way to debug booting process? Some logs to check or anything like that?

Having the latest BIOS doesn't mean it is the right one. While you got it from the manufacturer's site, did it state that it is for that specific device?

You can try and launch the diagnostics by pressing F10 during the boot sequence. This should launch the "Lenovo Diagnostics".

Additionally, you can try pressing F12 during the boot sequence to access the "Boot Menu". Once in there then press Tab to select "Application Menu" and use the arrow keys to go down to "Lenovo Diagnostics" and select it by pressing "Enter".

Status
Not open for further replies.