Long Windows startup and program execution

Status
Not open for further replies.

techSultan

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I bought a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5274 3 weeks ago. It came with Windows 8, and I had a spare copy of Windows 7 lying around, so naturally I decided to install Windows 7. However, I've noticed that my laptop takes about 4-5 minutes to load my desktop once I login--at least until my cursor stops displaying that spinning blue circle. Then, when I click to execute any program, the laptop takes another 20 seconds to load that program...

but then everything works completely normally.

I talked to my college's IT department/help desk, and they said that the initial lag I'm encountering is because most Windows 8 laptops are made so that downgrades to Win7 would be impossible or very buggy. Do you'all agree, or could something else be wrong? Keep in mind that I'm talking about a brand new laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 and bare minimum apps installed*.

*Microsoft Security Essentials, Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Office , Opera & other browsers, etc. No games, No sketchy downloads, no documents, music, etc. Just the basic programs you'd install on a new PC.

Solution
I noticed you installed just the basic drivers. now you need to install the intel drivers then the other drivers. in order to install the geforce driver you need to install the intel video driver first. its a driver issue. the intel driver makes it run really slow but when you update it to the geforc one it will speed up. also dont forget to install directx and miscrosoft framwork.

also make sure you installed the proper win7 . you will need to install the 64bit version to use the 6gb ram.

techSultan

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I downloaded all the basic drivers (VGA, ethernet, wifi, sound, etc) yes. I'll check the long list on the Toshiba site again.

I don't see anything suspicious running in the background. I'll double check with google.

Haha, no that's not true. Microsoft does not want you to downgrade, so OEMs have made it more difficult to install another OS or downgrade, but they don't sabotage the system if you do. Go through your services and startup items, and make sure you don't have things in excess slowing down the boot and login process (uncheck unnecessary entries). Ensure you don't have any malware either.

While it's possible the hard drive disk is at fault, it's pretty unlikely on a new system. Look at your BIOS settings, as you may need to make changes there as well (the system needs to be in CSM/Legacy BIOS instead of UEFI, and your hard drive mode should be in AHCI).

techSultan

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I had to switch to CSM/Legacy BIOS just to install Windows 7, so I know I'm clear on that. I'll check on the AHCI mode & running services. Thanks for the info.

jeffsupersaiyan

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I noticed you installed just the basic drivers. now you need to install the intel drivers then the other drivers. in order to install the geforce driver you need to install the intel video driver first. its a driver issue. the intel driver makes it run really slow but when you update it to the geforc one it will speed up. also dont forget to install directx and miscrosoft framwork.

also make sure you installed the proper win7 . you will need to install the 64bit version to use the 6gb ram.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.