Looking for a 12GB RAM stick as an upgrade for my ASUS UX501JW

May 6, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have 8 GB DDR3 total RAM memory in my laptop (4GB Soldered + 4GB in Slot). I want to upgrade the RAM and it can be upgraded to maximum 16GB, but my laptop only have one slot in which the 4GB is already installed. So I want to replace my 4GB RAM with 12 GB RAM.

The question is from where I can buy 12GB RAM (1x12) because I looked on the web and couldn't find. Need help!

Thanks

if there was two open ram slots you could have installed two 8g sticks. with four gig of ram soilder onto the mb your max ram is going to be 12g unless a ram vendor max an off size ram stick. you cna check using cruscial memory advisior to check the ram size for your laptop.

So According to Asus ASUS : https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX501JW/specifications/ the laptop comes with 8GB of ram and can be upgraded to 16GB, thus only needing 8GB more.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 4720HQ Processor
Operating System Windows 8.1
Chipset Intel® HM87 Express Chipset
Memory DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, OnBoard Memory 8 GB / GB, 1x DIMM socket, DIMM Up to 16 GB

May 6, 2018
Thank you all for replying.

It seems that 12GB RAM stick does not exist. So now, if I chose to install 8GB DDR3 RAM stick, how well the combination of 4GB and 8GB will work?

Please guide, thanks

May 6, 2018

Yesterday, I opened my laptop and I only found one stick 4GB RAM in the only slot my laptop has.

Please tell me if I chose to install 8GB DDR3 RAM stick, how well the combination of 4GB and 8GB will work?

the specifications are varying between country versions I think. Found the same model ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501JW with this spec:
"DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, OnBoard Memory 4 GB / 8 GB, 1x DIMM socket, DIMM Up to 16 G"

The CPU supports up to 32GB (16GB per channel), but the manufacturer already soldered 4GB into one channel, so up to 16GB can be added to the other channel/ DIMM. (In total 20GB)

The RAM will work fine, but don´t be suprised, that you won´t see a boost in performance, depending on what you wanna do with your system.

Be sure to get low voltage DDR3L RAM (1,35V)