Looking for a center channel speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

1static

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm looking for a good center channel speaker for my home theater system. I have a Denon AVR 391 receiver and 2 Bose front speakers. My Sub is a Sony, which by the way is older but has incredible lows. My surrounds are some older sony's which I'm planning on replacing soon. I've heard some good and bad about the Bose center channel speaker and before I spend that much I want to be sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. It's been very difficult finding one that I can be happy with. Any suggestions?

Solution

Well said.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
hmm looks like u do need a good centre then. check KEF, mourdaunt short, or B and W,

sorry i only listed british speakers brands, as these are the only speaker makes that id have experienced. mourdaunt short, for me is the one that is the msot neutral sounding.

1static

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for the info,
i guess it really comes down to getting some time off of work to really get a chance to listen to some of the ones you've mentioned. When I hear the sound of the one I like I guess I'll know

CompTIA_Rep

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
B&W is my preference but their smallest speakers may be too big for you. Bose isn't bad, and you will get matched set if you pick their center, however, they are far more expensive then they should be.

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
You don't consider $3000.00 + center channels high end?
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/p-27c-overview/
What about $20,000.00 floors?
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/p-39f-overview/

ien2222

Distinguished

Price isn't necessarily indicative of quality. Examples would be Polk, Infinity(post HK), Bose(except 901's) for overpriced equipment and say NHT(90's, haven't heard any of there new stuff), Allison, Snell, Infinity(pre-HK) as examples of very good bang(quality) for your buck. Don't get too hung up on price.

That said, Klipsch does make some decent high end speakers.

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

Well said.

Solution

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
number wise it lloks high, but since im living in the UK that price is about £17000, high end wise, there are far much more expensive model in the UK. haveing said that, most amercian speakers makes are looked down upon here in the UK.

ien2222

Distinguished

Hello,

I was wondering if you could explain you're last comment a little as to why American speakers are looked down upon? Is it just low end stuff? Or is it through all ranges? I'm just curious and like learning other cultures tastes and such.

I know in the US there was a slight, but noticeable shift in what high fidelity was somewhere around late 80's to early 90's. I'm not old enough to know what the goals were prior to that shift, but now it's accurate reproduction of the original performance/recording. I think prior, it might have been more about making the recording sound the best that it can, but I'm not sure. Depending on what your preference is, there can be a marked difference in sound, especially given the number of poorly recorded albums created today in mainstream music as well as some extremely well recorded.

As I said, just curious, like learning something new :)

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
He doesn't know why, and nobody else does either. The reason is nothing legitimate (even though there may very well be an existant legitimacy), it's because the trendy thing in Europe is to bash anything American, from the country itself, to its products and people. You will find there is quite an anti-American bias (whether initially caused by something legitimate, or as in most cases, not) especially amongst the more haughty Western Europeans.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
...there is the reason... lol he just gave it ... there's no need to be very patriotic or defensive, when it comes to europeans we are just very critical at judging, its not like theres nothing bad about american, there just IS a lot of reason why they are looked down upon...

Status
Not open for further replies.