Looking for a good headset or headphones and a mic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Psycho Mantis

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Hello, I bought a Logitech G930 today but I'm not impressed. The sound quality on my friend's 60 dollar turtle beach headset was much more impressive than these. I care much more about the audio than the microphone, which makes these a waste to me.
I am wondering if instead of getting a "gaming headset" I should just purchase headphones just dedicated for music and have a mic separate and use those while I game. My budget for the headphones was 100-120, and I ended up buying the G930 with a 100 dollar gift card to Best Buy. I will most likely return it.
So what I would appreciate help with is finding a good pair of headphones with excellent audio, and if there are cheap microphones that won't take up much space, a recommendation of those as well.
Thanks for any help in advance :)

Psycho Mantis

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
So I ended up picking up the 558s for around $130. Theyre very light and comfortable, but I feel like they're really cheap feeling. The mids and highs are very clear, and yes the bass is lacking. I'm debating of returning these for the M50s, but I'm curious if the bass on the M50s will take away from the clear mids and highs that the 558s have. Is this the case? Becuase if so I'd rather keep the clear mids and highs than exchange some if it for the bass. Thanks :)

the m50s are capable of sub-bass so will definitely add quite a bit more low end. they also have a warm tone to them which many seem to like.

the highs arent going to be super sharp and piercing or sibilent as many bass light headphones tend to be however it does a good enough job. the highs are pretty clear and not subdued (but not overly pronounced like in bass-light phones). clarity may take a slight hit as well. oh and they are a smaller soundstage headphone so it will sound less 3d and more like you have them playing right next to you.

i've used the m50's for years and they are a great pair of cans if you want something with good bass but still decent highs without giving up much clarity. it might not have the largest soundstage but this is common with all closed headphones. (open headphones have wider soundstages)

Psycho Mantis

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
In the game I play, sound is very important and hearing someone to the right/ left of me is huge, but I read somewhere that the closed headphones can model it fine as well. What I love about these 558s is how clear they are even though they lack bass, and so you say the M50s are clear as well?

any headphones can be used for positioning. its even possible to hook up any headphones up to a soundcard which has virtual surround such as dolby-headphone, cmss-3d, etc for some virtual surround just like headsets have.

the m50s wont be as focused on highs as the sennheisers are and wont have the same clarity however they are clear enough and have a fair upper end. instead of sounding crystal clear they have a warm overtone (although most people like it).

closed headphones have a small soundstage but that doesnt mean they are bad. sound tends to sound close and more intimate while open headphones tend to sound airy with a sense of space. sometimes open headphones are a bit clearer than closed however they often lack as much bass response.