Looking for a good laptop for around $6-700 CAD

echochrome

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new laptop as the one I've been using just died.

Looking for some advice, here's some info:

Country of purchase: Canada
Budget range: $600-700 CAD
Purpose: I'm looking for something to do schoolwork on, so the size is important. I'm also looking to do some light gaming. (League of Legends, hearthstone, stuff like that)
Screen size preference: 15" is preferred
Gaming requirements: I would like to get 60 FPS on league on high, without any issues going down the road.
Performance requirements: I just want the computer to run smoothly, and have no issues running multiple browsers, monitors, while running a game like league. A nice hard drive would be cool.
Brand preferences: Asus would be great, I've had a good experience with them, but otherwise no preference.

Solution
If you have not bought a laptop yet, then I recommend you consider the ThinkPad E555 which starts at $549 CAD. Upgrade the APU to the A8-7100 (1.8GHz Base / 3.0GHz max Turbo Core) for $30. That will have the integrated Radeon R7 (Kaveri) graphics core which is about equal to the Intel HD 4600 which means the graphics core will be more powerful than the Intel HD 4400 found in most laptops with Intel CPUs. That brings the total price to $579 CAD excluding tax.

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e555/

The laptop only comes with 4GB of RAM. You can upgrade it to 8GB for $80 CAD. Or you can purchase a stick of 4GB DDR3 1600 1.35v RAM and install it yourself which should come out a little cheaper. A stick of 4GB RAM...

Micheal Rosen

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Use RJ tech to buy a Clevo barebone and when customizing it remove all the components. The find the components you need on Ebay or Amazon. You really get to fine tune which components you want and save $200-$300 CAD.

If you have not bought a laptop yet, then I recommend you consider the ThinkPad E555 which starts at $549 CAD. Upgrade the APU to the A8-7100 (1.8GHz Base / 3.0GHz max Turbo Core) for $30. That will have the integrated Radeon R7 (Kaveri) graphics core which is about equal to the Intel HD 4600 which means the graphics core will be more powerful than the Intel HD 4400 found in most laptops with Intel CPUs. That brings the total price to $579 CAD excluding tax.

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e555/

The laptop only comes with 4GB of RAM. You can upgrade it to 8GB for $80 CAD. Or you can purchase a stick of 4GB DDR3 1600 1.35v RAM and install it yourself which should come out a little cheaper. A stick of 4GB RAM costs around $40 in the US, not sure about Canada.

There is an option to upgrade the APU to the A10-7300 for $80 CAD, but that will automatic install the Radeon R7 M260 with 2GB VRAM and bring the total price to $739 CAD before tax. The performance is probably between a GT 820m and the GT 830m.

Solution