Looking for a good pair of closed-back headphones that have an dettachable cable for $150 or less

Branchingsalmon

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
I've been looking around trying to find a good pair of closed back headphones with detachable cable for a hundred fifty bucks or less. I am more of a trebble guy but I would also like some decent base obviously. My main requirements are that it has a detachable cable, they're closed back, and that there are a hundred fifty bucks or less. These will be used to listen to music I like rock and metal but I also listen to a lot of other genres so it would be nice if the headphones work well for a large number of genres. Does anybody have any recommendations and Or links to a review or lineup of other headphones?

Solution
HEADPHONES
We are often asked, “Which are the best headphones?”
WELL, the best headphones sound better than ANY speakers. AND these will run on less power than speakers do, too. You can plug them directly into the computer…and get great sound quality.

IMHO The best headphones are made by STAX.
http://www.stax.co.jp/index-E.html
Once you see and hear STAX, you will realize that ALL other headphones are LESS than Stax. Now see what you can get, based on your own budget.
Maybe you don’t have $3000.00 to spend on headphones? Well, there are other alternatives that sound pretty darn good. But, anything less than STAX is a compromise.

IMHO Sennheiser: probably the second best choice, if you don’t have $3000.00...
HEADPHONES
We are often asked, “Which are the best headphones?”
WELL, the best headphones sound better than ANY speakers. AND these will run on less power than speakers do, too. You can plug them directly into the computer…and get great sound quality.

IMHO The best headphones are made by STAX.
http://www.stax.co.jp/index-E.html
Once you see and hear STAX, you will realize that ALL other headphones are LESS than Stax. Now see what you can get, based on your own budget.
Maybe you don’t have $3000.00 to spend on headphones? Well, there are other alternatives that sound pretty darn good. But, anything less than STAX is a compromise.

IMHO Sennheiser: probably the second best choice, if you don’t have $3000.00!
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/around-the-ear-headphones

The BEST headphones cover the entire ear, like a CUP.
ANY headphone that presses against the ear will cause discomfort and PAIN. You have been warned.

VISIT your local hi fi shop and TRY for yourself, several different headphones.
Reviews mean nothing, compared to your OWN TASTE.
DO NOT allow a salesperson to influence your choices. DO NOT allow reviews on the internet, to influence your taste in sound quality.
DECIDE what is best YOURSELF. TRY first, then BUY.

Solution

audie-tron25

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Are you talking $150USD? If so, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's are meant to really good but I don't have any experience with it. Sennheiser typically adds their own tuning to their headphones so they have a signature sound which you may like but make sure you try them first.

If your looking for something cheaper, consider something like Hyperx Cloud/Cloud Core. They are very comfortable and have decent sound quality but don't have a detachable cable.