Looking for a good pair of headphones

purple stank

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Not sure if this is the right section or not but I was wondering what is a good pair of headphones to use for PC.I mostly listen to music and play games.I'm looking for the best sound quality I can get for my money.My budget is around $200.Here's some I was thinking of...

These headphones I really like because I could also use them with my MP3 player when I go running.I'm not looking for something like this but it's an added bonus if I could get this style of headphones but still retain the sound quality of over ear headphones.The PC aspect comes first.
Bose® MIE2 Mobile Headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826627009

Here are some other ones that I'm interested in...
Bose® OE2 Audio Headphones
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826627015

Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826631206

it would help if you actually listed the titles and short description as not all of us can click shopping links where we are.

i use a pair of audiotechnica ath-m50s studio headphones. i prefer the higher sound quality then any surround sound gimmicks on gaming headsets. they are low enough resistance that you can drive them with an mp3 player without an amp (but of course you do have the option of using an amp).

sennheiser also makes some good products or so i've heard on here.

purple stank

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Sorry.Edited my original post.Yeah I have a really nice 2.1 system for my PC right now but the bass is just to much and my mom complains.I've tried turning it down but it doesn't do much xD.But yeah i'm used to hearing the good quality of my speakers so going to cheap $20 headphones just won't do it.The difference in quality is night and day.

The first thing that comes to my mind for headphones is Bose naturally.But I'm not sure if they are that good on PC.

unless you buy top of the line items bose tends to be junk. some of it sounds alright due to the design and electronics but is built rather shoddy compared to other manufacturers. considering that you can pay 50% more at least for a bose product i do not feel this is a godo buy.

i have owned a pair of bose headphones before. i had one of the $120 over the ear headphones and i initially thought they sounded pretty good. considering i was using $5 earbuds before this sounds about right. in less than a year they broke. the wires actually broke from use. inside the rubber there were literally 3 or 4 thin strands of wire. the entire set of headphones was made out of shoddy plastic as well and in general i would say was worth no more than perhaps $40-50 at most.

my new set of headphones cost me $180 at a high end retail store (so i overpaid) but is available for $130-150 online. first of all the cords used are 1/8" thick with a solid stainless steel plug cover and anti-kink spring. while still plastic the headphones are very solidly built and unless i threw them i could not see them breaking. i have dropped them on occassion and they still are fine. the headband is about 6x the size of what was on my bose set (which was rather flimsy). as far as sound quality is concerned it makes the bose headphones look like $20 over the ear headphones.

just my thoughts on bose for what its worth...

i do have a set of bose speakers in my car and although i wish they were not bose i have to say they do not sound bad. then again the upgrade package was $1000 so perhaps this is a factor.

they do make some nice noise cancelling models but personally i feel the audio distortion is just too bad to be practical. over the ear headphones muffle out enough sound to almost ignore noise cancelling.

--

personally i use a pair of $5 gummy brand headphones for physical activity. this way i can replace them once in awhile when they get cruddy. you know, from sweat and ear gunk.

i use my expensive headset at work, at home and when i travel. in this way they stay in good condition.

purple stank

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Yeah I guess Bose is more speakers and not headsets.I just figured the Bose name would carry over to headsets as well.

Yeah after looking at those in ear Bose more closely I don't they would work for me.I need the over ear/in ear ones.That fit snug.Otherwise it would just fall out.

Audio-Technica Audiophile ATH-AD700 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Open-Air Dynamic Headphone

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-402-014

Are those similar to yours?

bose makes both speakers and headsets but you really need to watch what you buy. some of their products are made decent but others are junk in both categories. its a hard call. all of the products are overpriced though.

if you want an "in ear" model then perhaps look at klipsh. they make an in ear model.

i think the ath-ad700's are a lower end model. at the time of purchase the ath-m50 was their top of the line which may have changed since i bought them a few year ago. not saying they are bad though by any means i just dont have experience with them.

as i said in the first post, quite a few people recommend sennheiser as well so you might want to take a look.

purple stank

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
HD 518 3.5mm/ 6.3mm ...........HD 558 6.3mm
watch out for the connector size. some feature a 6.3mm connector which screws off to reveal a 3.5mm and some may not.

not sure what is meant by acoustic.

"studio headphones" are what i use. these give a very balanced output which is not bass or treble heavy.

i dont have much experience with anything but the athm50s and some cheaper products i've used over the years so i cannot review any of them. just read some reviews and make a decision.

or sort through this section of the forum for headphone choices. you might find some recommendations.

IamRenegade

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I'd say the 558's are great if you are looking at the M50's but don't want the closed back design.
Perhaps the Grado 225i's are a perfect pair because they are AMAZING sounding and are usually exactly $200? If you need a Mic with the pair, try the Siberia Elite, I heard they are pretty good.

laizhaomade

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
it would help if you actually listed the titles and short description as not all of us can click shopping links where we are.
gg