Looking for a laptop for 3D work on the move!

boozerbiz

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a new laptop for using 3ds Max, Unity, Photoshop, possibly Mudbox.
I have a workstation PC at home so I will not need to be doing any rendering or really intensive tasks. Its just for modelling, animating and game development related activities.
I have researched like mad (like i do for everything!) but I would like some opinions on laptops that you use or have used for these tasks?
I find getting opinions from personal experience to be the best way to find out what is going to work :)

I like the look of this Lenovo z710, so this price range is around what I'm looking at. I am completely open to suggestions however, what has worked for you? Something cheaper maybe?! I don't need it to be an absolute beast so I have pulled myself away from more expensive models like the Dell precision series, with a decent PC at home it just doesn't seem worth spending loads on a laptop unless I really need to.

Lenovo are also releasing a new flex laptop soon that I thought could be fun. It can come with 16GB of ram and a 256 SSD. The drawback with it is the i7-4510u dual core processor. Has anyone got or used a similar dual-core processor with good results in the software I mentioned? I have only really worked on 3ds Max etc a lot on my PC at home so I don't really know how low I can go with components while keeping good performance.

I'm not worried about the weight of the laptop and would like at least a 15.6 inch screen.

Soooooo what are you all rocking on your laps for work? :)

Thanks!

boozerbiz

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Cool thanks, someone else recommended me an Acer Aspire as well, must be good:D I'll have a hunt around some UK sellers and see what I can find!

D

Deleted member 1300495

Please remember to select a best answer if it helped you

boozerbiz

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Ok, id still like to hear some peoples experiences who use the software I mentioned on laptops before giving a best answer:)

Personally I use an asus n series laptop for what you are doing but it cost £100 more. They are very good for it and can handle 3ds max easily. I have also had a friend that has a toshiba and it works just fine but I don't know the model unfortunately. The acer v3 is also a good deal from what I have heard people say.

boozerbiz

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

That's great thanks, I will check them out. It's good to know the right software runs well for you on it. Its all about the smoothness of the software! and being comfortable:D

D

Deleted member 1300495

The Asus is pretty good but I don't think it is worth the price difference if you are essentially getting the same specs as the Acer.

boozerbiz

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Cool thanks, I've not had either before but always hear good things, some good models about too:)

boozerbiz

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Soooo after adjusting the budget and looking around loads I think I may have settled on this....
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/G750JX-T4264H-ASUS-G750JX-T4264H_1508794.html

The price seems good to me and you can get a 3 year warranty for an extra £50.

I also like the fact that it is well ventilated and should hopefully last well.

I just wondered if anyone has or has had one? Or has a better alternative? Just some last thoughts before I take the plunge!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Try the one of the new 4K laptops screens.

The Y50 has some of the latest PC technologies, pushing it into the class of a true gaming laptop. The $1,299.99 model has a Core i7 i7-4710HQ processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M graphics chip with 2GB of video memory, 8GB of DRAM and 1TB of hard-drive storage. The $1,599.99 model has the same Core i7 CPU, the GeForce GTX 860M with 4GB of video memory, 16GB of DRAM and 512GB solid-state drive storage. Resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels

The laptops have Windows 8, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, an HDMI connector and two USB 3.0 ports.

Toshiba - http://www.toshiba.com/us/p50t