Looking for a laptop, Max $2500 (Modeling, After effects, Cinema 4D, Nuke, Photoshop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maydris

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a laptop for working on the go and am in need of some recommendations. Theses are some of the programs I use:

Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After effects, Nuke, Audition, Maya, zbrush, Cinima 4D, and at some point I also want to use some particle programs - like Houdini - too.

I have been looking at the new Dell Percision 5200, with customizing for $2432 I can get it with a:
Intel core 17-7820HQ, 32G ram, Nvidia Quadro M1200 W/GB GDDR5, M.2 PCIe 512GB SSD (class 40), 6-cell (97wh) battery

I am open to suggestions for others, I am not as up to date on hardware as I would like to be. Any information of what to look for, or suggestions of laptops that seem like they might suit my needs would be appreciated.

Thanks!
(P.S. all rendering is done on my powerful desktop so it is not a concern in my purchase)

Solution
If you can get a Precision with those specs for $2,432 I'd say go for it. The only alternative that springs to mind is Lenovo's ThinkPad P50:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/?menu-id=thinkpad_p50

Starting at $1,385 this workstation can be customized with roughly similar specs for around $2,400 - except the P50 isn't available with Kaby Lake CPUs, at least not yet. This price includes a 2K IPS panel and a 512GB SSD.

If the Precision comes with a decent IPS panel, it does seem a very attractive package for the applications you use. If it doesn't - and if such a panel will send you past $2,500 - you might consider the ThinkPad P50.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.
If you can get a Precision with those specs for $2,432 I'd say go for it. The only alternative that springs to mind is Lenovo's ThinkPad P50:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/?menu-id=thinkpad_p50

Starting at $1,385 this workstation can be customized with roughly similar specs for around $2,400 - except the P50 isn't available with Kaby Lake CPUs, at least not yet. This price includes a 2K IPS panel and a 512GB SSD.

If the Precision comes with a decent IPS panel, it does seem a very attractive package for the applications you use. If it doesn't - and if such a panel will send you past $2,500 - you might consider the ThinkPad P50.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS