Looking for a laptop that supports virtualization

mayankchadha

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi Guys,

I want to purchase a laptop that supports virtualization and gaming.

Basically I want to set up a lab comprising of softwares such vsphere5.5, vcenter , windows server 2008/2012 and shared storage and also that supports good graphics games.

what should be the configuration of a laptop that fulfills the above requirements? My budget is around 60k max , so would be really helpful if you could shed some light on the option as well.

Thank you for your help in advance.Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Mayank

Solution
Hello Guys,

Thank you Recycled for your suggestion.

I have come across two laptops which I think can serve my purpose.

1.HP Pavilion 15-p077TX Notebook: Core i5 (4th Gen),8 GB DDR3 RAM,1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1
RAM expandable up to 12gb

2. Lenovo B50-70 Notebook : Core i5 (4th Gen),8 GB DDR3 RAM,1 TB HDD, Windows 8. Expandable Memory Upto 16 GB, Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 0)

Before I finalize i wanted a second opinion on few aspects:

1. Will 12 GB RAM be sufficient for the kind of Lab set up I want?

2. It seems that this lenovo model has better configuration as it has expandable memory up to 16gb .However I am confused what does Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 0) means? Does it means it comes with 2 4gb RAM chips or what?

Please...

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
When You are looking at a laptop, check what processor it comes with. Look up that processor on the manufacturer's web site. For example, my LifeBook T5010 has a T9550 Intel processor. Intel lists it on their ARK web site:

http://ark.intel.com/products/37130/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9550-6M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

There is one critical bit...under "VT-X" the answer is "yes." If it were no, this processor would not work.

AMD has something similar.

A virtualization workstation tends to have lots of processor cores, lots of RAM, and lots of disk space. None of this is typical in laptops. Plan to spend money on a serious laptop, then to upgrade the RAM at the very least. Of course, high-end graphics does nothing for a virtualization workstation.

mayankchadha

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hello Guys,

Thank you Recycled for your suggestion.

I have come across two laptops which I think can serve my purpose.

1.HP Pavilion 15-p077TX Notebook: Core i5 (4th Gen),8 GB DDR3 RAM,1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1
RAM expandable up to 12gb

2. Lenovo B50-70 Notebook : Core i5 (4th Gen),8 GB DDR3 RAM,1 TB HDD, Windows 8. Expandable Memory Upto 16 GB, Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 0)

Before I finalize i wanted a second opinion on few aspects:

1. Will 12 GB RAM be sufficient for the kind of Lab set up I want?

2. It seems that this lenovo model has better configuration as it has expandable memory up to 16gb .However I am confused what does Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 0) means? Does it means it comes with 2 4gb RAM chips or what?

Please suggest which one will be better? Are there any other models in the market under 55k INR that can support 16 GB RAM or 12GB?

Looking foward to hearing from you.

Solution

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
mayankchadha, I am sorry that I can not answer Your question.

I'm not sure how many VMs You are going to run at one time, but even if I knew that, I could not estimate the RAM used in Your hypervisors.

I'm not sure about the max RAM either. I will say that if I were going to start out with 16GB, I would want to be able to upgrade to 32GB later on. (I never said either of us could afford it ;o)