Looking for a laptop with classic keyboard

KayBee01

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I'm looking for reasonably priced laptop to replace my Dell laptop I've had for many years. I prefer the raised keyboard or classic keyboard I think they're called. I want at least 12 or 13 inch monitor. I just need it for personal use, basic use. No games or anything like that.
Thanks for any suggestions

Solution
Havn't ever seen a laptop with regular keys since laptops became more mainstream with passive lcd displays. I would targets 15 anf 17 inch laptops that can atleast spread out the keyboard to full size, and check out reviews for travel distance on keys, but otherwise go external keyboard. I use a mechanical keyboard on my new gaming laptop when at home.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Havn't ever seen a laptop with regular keys since laptops became more mainstream with passive lcd displays. I would targets 15 anf 17 inch laptops that can atleast spread out the keyboard to full size, and check out reviews for travel distance on keys, but otherwise go external keyboard. I use a mechanical keyboard on my new gaming laptop when at home.

Solution

leeba.weisberg

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
I had the same issue you're having. My college laptop was starting to get sluggish, multiple keys were broken and the touchpad stopped working - it was time to upgrade. However after a lot of heavy research I started realizing that a true classic keyboard with raised keys and nice tactile feedback is now an extreme rarity on laptops. The only one I could find was Alienware. Yes, Alienware. If you don't game it will seem like overkill - and it probably is. But I'm very happy with my Alienware laptop and honestly it's probably only a matter of time before their amazing keyboard goes the way of the dodo bird too. A bit of advice: Get the extended warranty during checkout because they raise the price if you want to buy one after you receive the laptop. And since this is probably the last laptop you'll ever be able to get with a decent keyboard, you'll want to insure it heavily. Best of luck.

anwie

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Alienware's are expensive. Isn't there any samsung laptop with the keyboard you are looking for?
I have samsung laptop for about 7 years now, the only thing that is a bit damaged is the screen (i lost some pixels).

leeba.weisberg

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
I prefer the classic keyboard with raised keys too instead of the "island style" keyboards that have become almost universally adopted now. Actually prefer is not the right word. I flat out HATE typing on those awful new keyboards. Unfortunately all the new Samsung laptops have the new keyboards. If all you need is a replacement screen then I would get the screen replaced at a local computer repair shop. It costs less than a new laptop and you get to keep your classic keyboard without spending the extra $ on a gaming laptop.