Looking for a new laptop. Please read ! College kids ?

ayobmx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hi, I am an upcoming college freshman, and being away from home, I will not be able to access my desktop. :(

I am pretty sure that many of the people have the same question as I :

What laptop will run games and have a good battery life?

I will think about price later, but just want to see what are my options.

I multitask and watch movies a lot as well. ( If that makes any difference)

Hopefully this thread will help out confused incoming college kids as well.

Thanks for reading! Much appreaciated. :hello:

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
The $799 HP DV6-6C53NR is a good general-case mid-range gaming-capable laptop.

Link: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.243730200?WT.mc_id=mercent&mr:trackingCode=48A719B2-EC65-E111-B2BE-001B21A69EB0&mr:referralID=NA

Noteworthy specifications:
- AMD Radeon 7690M XT: One of the faster mid-range GPUs. Faster than a GT 540M / GT 630M.
- 15.6" 1920x1080 matte display: Good for multitasking and has particularly good image quality due to high contrast. 15.6" 1366x768 displays should be avoided when reasonable, because such displays make things onscreen large and tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. Matte/anti-glare finish reduces reflections when they are a potential issue.
- Core i5-2450M: If you don't have a particular need for something faster, then this should more than suffice. You should not prioritize getting a Core i7 processor over getting a faster GPU (if gaming) or getting a decent display, unless you have a particular need for a fast processor.

For more reliable game performance, go into the BIOS and change the switchable graphics setting from DYNAMIC to FIXED.