Looking for a new point and shoot

iamloco724

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I am looking for a point and shoot camera for up to $750 less is better if possible, I will be using it for arena pro wrestling events. I would like a good zoom, there will be variable lighting scenarios, looking at something that can capture the action, I have a friend that recommended me the Canon SX530, I like most of his shots I got a Canon SX720 instead thinking it would be better or the same and it was horrible for this I put it on TV mode which is the shutter priority mode and everything was way too dark, this was the mode he told me he uses and he doesn't do anything else to the pictures.

If you want to see his shots go to @c4_rasslin_photos on instagram I would like to get shots equal to his or preferably better.

I use a Sony A6000 for smaller events where these cameras are allowed and I am close enough to use it, this works perfectly for that I know I wont be able to get anything of that quality but I would like a companion camera to this to use for these other events where I am not close and they are in a bigger venue. Also if there was something that would meet my needs and was on the more compact side that would be a huge plus but size isn't a deal breaker at this point.

I have looked at these, any thoughts? DMC-FZ300, DMC-FZ1000 and DSC-HX400V.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

bjornl

Estimable
How close to the action are you going to be? The closer, the simpler things get. Shorter lenses, more options.

First off your guess that sx720 and sx530 would do about the same is correct. They have the same sensor size and nearly the same aperture size.

Indoor shooting of sports and getting good results is tricky. Using a P&S for it is tricker still. What you want is the following:
The largest sensor you can afford.
The lens with the smallest f-number you can afford.
The camera with the fastest AF module you can afford.

You'll notice that they all end in the same 3 words. That is because indoor sports is demanding and the best results cost money.

You would also be well advised to learn something about photography.
The shutter speed you need is going to be modestly fast. I would guess ideal to be around 1/1000 and minimum to be in the 1/400 to 1/600 range.
Your results will basically suck with a sensor smaller than 1". They simply don't gather enough light to get you the exposure you need and they are noisier at higher ISOs and have lower dynamic range (the range from the brightest to the dimmest properly recorded elements).

Among the ones you listed, the fz1000 has a larger sensor, the fz300 has a better lens. The Sony rx10 has a better lens and a better sensor (but the AF is "ok" (the II model is faster)).

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10-ii-in-depth-camera-review/11 would be very good. But even used it is 100-200 over budget.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10/11 this is the previous model and it is mostly as good. It will drop a few shots due to missed focus.
New this one is just over your budget at 848
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-Shot-DSC-RX10-Digital-Accessories/dp/B01N496YVT/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496089187&sr=1-24&keywords=Sony+rx10&refinements=p_36%3A40000-99999999

Used it is in budget at 600ish in near mint condition.

The fz1000 will track motion better, but the images will be considerably noiser and less dynamic range due to the lens. At 200mm the Sony lets in more than 8x as much light. But the Panasonic has much more "zoom".

I primarily use a DSLR, but I have used a Sony rx10 (version1) for some football games and it did "ok" unless the action was coming right at me. In which case I had around a 50% to 70% (not sure) chance of nailing focus. It is not a substitute for buying a DSLR and taking some classes and then practicing for a while. But it is as close to your goals as I can think of.

The more time you put in to any camera the better the results. They don't some with a 'make art' button.

bjornl

Estimable

That is reasonably close. A 200mm would probably be ok. And with a 20mp sensor, it leaves some room for cropping afterwards in photoshop or similar.

iamloco724

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

The way I usually shoot these events that wouldn't be a deal breaker

bjornl

Estimable

apature quickly moves to f/5.6 which will be 1/4th of the light gathering of the Sonys and 1/2 of the fz1000. 1 frame per second in RAW is mule slow. Continuous AF speed is below the rx10 and and fz1000 due to poor tracking of subjects.