Looking for a used laptop. Need help.

pete ahram

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Hi

I currently have this very old hp laptop and even though I have done everything I can to extend it's lifetime; I think that it's the time to change it to something newer.

-So I'm looking for a new laptop.

The laptop I'm looking for should have at least 15" (17" would be great) screen and it should be powerful enough to run counter strike: global offensive. It's not a very demanding game, so I'm looking for to get at least 60 fps at all times with decent graphics (not everything on low).
Other things like mobility etc. aren't really that important to me.

Even though I usually buy my electronics new, I'm going to buy the laptop used, because used ones are a lot cheaper. But I do not know a lot of laptops, so I would need someone to help me to find a good one or at least give me some insight on what should I be looking for.
I do not have a real budget, but the cheaper I can get it the better.

ps. Sorry for my possible grammatical errors, English isn't my native language.

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello,

An used laptop is a tricky thing, as you don't know in which conditions it was utilized and how was maintained (temperature, dust, vibrations, etc.). Needing a powerful laptop is even a bigger deal, because such laptops are usually purchased by gamers, so they are driven hard and pretty much neglected. So, if you don't know the seller or the device history, it all depends of your luck.

pete ahram

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

Of course I will never be fully able to know the conditions, but It's really not that likely that 1-2 year old laptop is in a bad shape. Also I'm not looking a powerful laptop, as almost all larger modern laptops can run cs go. Also I believe that gamers do not neglected their machines as they need them to work properly to able to play games. I would be more concerned if the previous owner would be a casual person, who doesn't know a thing about laptops.

Anyway I'm willing to take the risk, because I do not have that much money to spend.

This assumes that all forms of desktops are out of the question including mini desktops, I would look for a laptop with a gt 840m gpu and an i5 m cpu as mobility isnt an issue. Also as counter strike is an fps, the most important thing is to get the best ping and not the graphic settings so make sure tha laptop has a good wifi module. I would look for dell or lenovo for a cheap deal.

pete ahram

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

Okay I didn't know that wifi modules make a difference, so I will have to put that in mind.
I will also keep those gpu:s and cpu:s in mind while I'm looking for the laptop.