Looking for advice on gaming laptops

Sep 26, 2018
Im looking for a cheapish entry level gaming laptop with several quite specific features: Well built (hopefully an aluminum frame), a good screen (hopefully 144hz) and the ability to upgrade it in the future, either by changing the gpu or using an external one (I think that means it needs thunderbolt 3 right?).
Can anyone help, do such machines even exist?
Thanks in advance...

Solution
Laptops that will allow you to upgrade GPU (MXM format "cards") typically have a starting price of $1,400+ which is not considered entry level. Laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port that allows you to connect to an external GPU dock (probably starting at around $200 without the GPU) generally costs at least $1,100 from what I've seen.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
no entry level gaming anything will have all that you requested. thunderbolt... lol, are you kidding? aluminum frame? I think you want a MAC or a VERY high end laptop.

still gaming takes a toll and temps get real high and then your get shutdowns, etc... not worth it.

lol, you say cheapish and then list off super high end features. sorry, no.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
you actually want a nice tower pc with proper cooling and proper gaming hardware if gaming is what you want to go hard core at. get a nice slim notebook like a mac or something nice for your portable needs.. it sounds like you have a good budget so that's what I would do.

Laptops that will allow you to upgrade GPU (MXM format "cards") typically have a starting price of $1,400+ which is not considered entry level. Laptops with a Thunderbolt 3 port that allows you to connect to an external GPU dock (probably starting at around $200 without the GPU) generally costs at least $1,100 from what I've seen.

Solution