Looking for advise on a camera purchase

Charlie_4

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
My uncle gifted me an EOS 350d last christmas, as I'm taking A-Level photography in September, I was just wondering if I could get anything better by selling the camera and the 18-55mm lens that comes bundled with it, and adding maybe £100+ to the budget.

My main issue with the camera is the inability the use the meagre 1.8 LCD as a viewfinder, and the outdated ports that don't allow it to connect up to my PC to view photos, which means I must use a compact flash card reader to view photos, which can get quite repetitive after a while, and also the fact that compact flash cards are bulky and expensive.

Any constructive comments would be much appreciated, thanks!

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Why are you using the LCD to compose rather than the viewfinder?

Personally, I'd take the £100 and use it to buy a 35mm or 50mm lens with a wide aperture. You may also want to consider selling the 18-55mm lens and buying a flashgun, but it all depends on the sort of photography you do.

onicgadget

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
According to me

GoPro Hero4 Silver Camera - Capturing memories through photos and videos have become an important component of our modern life.
GoPro Hero5 Black Camera - The GoPro Hero5 Black, recently released after much anticipation, is the first model to offer more professional-level features while retaining and enhancing the GoPro camera’s fundamental characteristics.
these are the best cameras.

Charlie_4

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

My phrasing was quite bad there, sorry, what i mean is that you simply cannot use the LCD as a view finder (live view) and must rely on the actual viewfinder which can be very misleading sometimes, however I think I can manage it, could you by any chance then recommend some good lenses to me?

Charlie_4

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Are you sponsored by GoPro? :lol:

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'm a Nikon user, so I'm not particularly clued-up on Canon lenses, but a 50mm f1.8 is always a good start and could potentially be the only lens you ever need.

If you can live with manual focus and aren't put off by unknown brands then you can grab a selection of lenses with different focal lengths from eBay.

Charlie_4

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

Nah less known brands dont bother me at all, if they provide a good quality then fair do's. And my current lens is a 18-55m at f3.6, and i mainly use MF as AF takes too long for me, and I'd rather use my own eye than rely on the camera brain