Looking for affordable audio system

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I expect to have much of it refurbished and expect certain things to come later. If at tall it's possible to put together a $200 audio system that will include 5.1 and a decent base. I can perhaps push to $300. But, likewise I think it could be done with refurbished stuff. If not...

What would be suggested for about $200. I want the room full of sound with a thunder from explosions. I am not really picky, more or less just want the fullness and Boom.

I've looked at several local places. None have anything refurbished around here for some reason..

Note: I will be connecting this to my PC, it has 5.1 support. Assuming I do not need a receiver then should make this more realistic?

If at all it's possible to put together a $200 audio system that will include 5.1 and a decent base. I can perhaps push to $300.

which is why we suggested a logitech 5.1 at $200

I've read i'd be better off with a 2.1 system than 5.1 at $200 price tag.

higher quality speakers perhaps but you lose out on surround sound. there are a few pc speaker sets worthwhile in that category.

I want the room full of sound with a thunder from explosions.

a decent subwoofer can accomplish this. also bookshelf speakers or floorstanders will provide more bass than satelites.

I will be connecting this to my PC, it has 5.1 support. Assuming I do not need a receiver then should make this more realistic?

assuming you do not need a receiver? if you want home theater speakers you will need either an amplifier or a receiver unless you buy powered speakers that plug into the wall. even most pc speakers (other than some cheap 2.0 sets) are powered.

if you have a receiver already you should list this.

None have anything refurbished around here for some reason..

you could try craigslist though i already searched for your area (going by your profile location) and did not see anything reasonable or even decent.

you could try local yard sales and flea markets as you can sometimes find a few deals there. most of it is junk HTiB sets though.

you could try ebay as there are ocassionally deals on there.

ultimately instead of randomly searching around (especially since you want to upgrade it as you go) you should look at buying new. if you buy this way you can buy over time. if you buy used it is true you can get a deal but you may need to fork over more up front (though in the long run you could get a better deal). we need to know the total budget though (not just the up front amount)

Which is why I figured I'd be best looking into individual units that can be added to over time.

see what i said about receivers and amplifiers first...

this is a different matter entirely. yes it is possible to put together a system over time so the overall initial cost is spread out over time. keep in mind that you will want to do this over a few months instead of a few years since parts availability could change and you might find it hard to find matching speakers if you wait too long.

its also easier to go this route with new speakers than it is with used. tracking down matching used matching speakers can be a long road...

you mentioned $200 maybe $300 to start. what were you thinking for a total? if $300 is to cover 2.0 or 2.1 you are likely looking at around $450-500 total for a 5.1

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I started saving up more for a good system for now I went with the Logitech 2.1 200w system on Newegg. It definitely is suffice for now. I'll start looking into the depth of it and get a good system, setting the budget to 780. Should have it by Feb.