Looking for anwser of a question regarding the use of external display on laptop

Razit Rayhan

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Hello experts,

I am using hp 14-r029tx laptop. my question is, is it harmful to connect external monitor via vga while the laptop is turned on? or is it harmful for the laptops display components to use another monitor? Should I turn off the laptop before connecting any other display? Or should I not use the other display port? It would be very helpful. I am really worried.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
i have connected an external monitor and projectors many times without turning the pc off and have had no issues arise.

i can't think of any technical reason it would be unsafe to do it either. windows has no problem realizing the new monitor is there and adjusting for it on the fly. rest easy and feel free to hook that up whenever you feel like it :)

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i have connected an external monitor and projectors many times without turning the pc off and have had no issues arise.

i can't think of any technical reason it would be unsafe to do it either. windows has no problem realizing the new monitor is there and adjusting for it on the fly. rest easy and feel free to hook that up whenever you feel like it :)

Solution

Razit Rayhan

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

Thank you math geek. The problem is that this 14 inch display is not working out for me. So I was looking forward to do that.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
no problem. things change so fast it can be hard to keep up with every little piece of info.

most laptops will auto change to duplicating the screen on the second monitor but you can still go into settings and change it to extending the desktop. normally there is a hot key on the keyboard as well to disable the second monitor if you leave it connected to the laptop. usually looks like 2 boxes separated by a vertical line and is normally one of the fn functions.