Looking for entry level DSLR

S7ewie

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
I'm looking for a fairly beginner dslr. I enjoy photography, I used to use my dads canon a lot. Cant remember what it was but it wasn't cheap haha. I take a lot of photos with my phone and I'd like something more responsive at taking action shots and just a proper camera really..

Obviously I'm not looking for professional level, I'm a complete amateur and don't have that kind of budget anyway. A lot of what I do is take pictures of my girlfriend whilst she rides her horse jumping and competing. So something that can take good quality action pictures without blur and when I hit the button and not 3 seconds after would be great haha. A good burst (not sure if that's technically the correct name) would be very useful too. It is quite important too that it'll be able to record at relatively good quality. I'm not talking 4k. Just like 1080p at 60fps.

A few of the ones I've been look at and around that kind of budget are the Canon 1300D, Nikon 3400D and Sony A58 (though I think that's getting toward the high end, I'd be looking at second hand after that). I would like the ability to use an external microphone if possible though (i get a lot of wind noise through standard ones recording at outdoor shows) so I'm probably more drawn to the Nikon 3300D than the 3400D just because apparently they took that out. Really not fussed about the WiFi/Bluetooth stuff.

I'm just speculating at the moment, to see what comes up. Any suggestions would be great, new or old.

Thanks
Stuart

Solution
I have a Fuji HS10 bridge camera, and a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless.

The difference is quite dramatic. Mainly due to the sensor size.
The APS-C in the X-T1 is literally 15 times larger than the sensor in the HS10 superzoom.
The bridge cameras have the same sensor size as the cheaper £100 point and shoots, but with most of the features of a DSLR.

Having said that...the HS10 bridge camera does take quite good pics.

And at a budget of £300, one of the current bridge cameras might be the ticket.

S7ewie

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
Thanks I think I saw that article. Was one of the things that pointed me into lookin at the Nikon 3300D over the newer 3400D.

Sorry I thought that was clear when I listed the ones I was looking at. I don't want to go too far over £300 to be honest but I can stretch a little for the right one.

Thanks. That's why I mentioned that I was looking at one that take good videos too. My dads canon for example took great photos but not the best videos. Most of what I've read seems to place between canon or Nikon but I also read somewhere that if you want good video it might be best to look at a sony. Plus, as I said, I'd like to have to option to use an external Microphone so that might rule out any that don't have an microphone jack.

S7ewie

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
I must admit I'm leaning a lot towards the Nikon D3300.

However, I'm also starting to consider a bridge camera on the basis that I can't honestly see myself spending hundreds more on lenses for the D3300. I imagine I'd be sticking with the kit lens for the time being at least and hope that covers me for the majority of what I need to do for now. I guess I won't have much of a zoom though? That being said I can't honestly see myself making use out of the x60 zoom that some of the bridge cameras have these days, not without a tripod at least. My dad has a bridge canon with x20 zoom and that's more than enough.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I have a Fuji HS10 bridge camera, and a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless.

The difference is quite dramatic. Mainly due to the sensor size.
The APS-C in the X-T1 is literally 15 times larger than the sensor in the HS10 superzoom.
The bridge cameras have the same sensor size as the cheaper £100 point and shoots, but with most of the features of a DSLR.

Having said that...the HS10 bridge camera does take quite good pics.

And at a budget of £300, one of the current bridge cameras might be the ticket.

Solution
Jun 3, 2017
Hi There S7ewie,
I currently have the Canon 7D (not the mark ii) and this takes very good action shots. It has an 8fps burst rate, with a buffer depth of 20-30 shots in RAW, and about 80-100 shots in JPEG. I definitely recommend this DSLR, one down side is that it only videos in 1080p @ 24 or 25 fps. Hope this helps!