Looking for migration software

vaman117

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hello Community!

I'm new to this site, so please forgive me if I'm off on the posting procedure. I recently installed an ssd on my computer (based on people's recommendations form this site), and have so far been very pleased with how snappy the load times are. I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 4.0 to move my OS and a few key programs onto my ssd, however, it corrupted part of my OS (particularly the windows installer service). I'm on a Windows 7 machine, and am highly considering re-imaging in order to solve this problem. I have a windows 7 installation disk (I really don't want to upgrade to windows 8), but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a program that migrates exclusively program files very well. I'm moving data from a 2tb mechanical onto my 120gb ssd, so it needs to have the ability to selectively pick programs - but whether or not it can move the os is not a concern. Also, several of my programs have licenses specific to this computer. It would be very convenient if the program could also carry over the license key. As a final thought, would you ladies and gents recommend using a separate program for the drivers, or are there programs out there that bundle this all together? Usually google is my friend, however, I could only find migration software that is made to migrate to a new OS (ex win7 --> win8). Even if it's merely a suggestion, please post it as I will gladly look into further!

Thanks for your time and your knowledge!

Vaman117

Solution
I am afraid what you're looking for does not exist. There is no standard way to "migrate" an installed program, especially ones with tricky licensing / protections. I would suggest cloning your original disk to a safe place. then removing every non-essential file and program from it until you shrink it to 100gb or so, then cloning it to SSD. This will (hopefully) transfer your license info as well.
I am afraid what you're looking for does not exist. There is no standard way to "migrate" an installed program, especially ones with tricky licensing / protections. I would suggest cloning your original disk to a safe place. then removing every non-essential file and program from it until you shrink it to 100gb or so, then cloning it to SSD. This will (hopefully) transfer your license info as well.

Solution

vaman117

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Thank you for responding! Noted as far as the migration program. Believe it or not, cloning the disk and removing the files that I didn't want, then cloning to the ssd is exactly what I did and that's how I got myself into this! Thanks for taking the time to reply!