Looking for Multimedia computer for heavy photo/video editing, moderate gaming...

AlAlvare17

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
I owned a Lenovo Y580 and was extremely happy with it up until it was bricked by the infamous Battery Gauge Reset problem, with no hopes of repair since it ran out of warranty.

I'm looking for a multimedia laptop with similar capabilities to the Y580 - something close to or better than it in terms of hardware and graphics, with a budget of ~$1000, give or take $100. I'm aware that there are still places that sell the Y580, but I wanted to see if there's a newer, better multimedia laptop for a similar price.

I've done some browsing around in the current Lenovo product line, and the Y50 and Y510p caught my attention - if anybody knows anything about them, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I was impressed by the build quality of my Lenovo laptop so I'd still be open to having another Lenovo PC, but I'm also open to exploring what other manufacturers have to offer.

WHAT I PLAN TO USE LAPTOP FOR:

• Photo/video editing: heavy use of Adobe Photoshop/InDesign/Premiere and frequent media exporting - high quality, big screen and fast processor are must
    Moderate-end gaming: ex. Skyrim should perform well on at least medium settings
    Playing music: need good built-in speakers. I was very impressed by Y580's JBL speakers
    Frequent web browsing/HD video streaming
    General multitasking: I'm that guy that has dozens of programs running at once
    Storing my music/photo collection: 500gb storage was fine with my previous laptop

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Country of purchase: USA

Budget range: $800-$1150 USD

Purpose: Multimedia (HD movie streaming/Photo+video editing/Moderate-end gaming)

Screen size preference: MUST: 15.6 inches, 1920x1080p display

OS preference (Windows/ Mac/ Linux): Windows (7/8.1)

Gaming requirements: Enough to run a game like Skyrim smoothly at moderate settings

Brand preferences: Prefer Lenovo (though willing to hear about other manufacturers)

Any particular style that you like (examples are great): Similar physical build to Lenovo Y580

Which of the following qualities would you prefer? (Choose one, the other, or balanced)

• Long battery life -vs- Low weight: Long battery life (weight not an issue)
    Build quality -vs- Low price: Build quality
    Low noise/heat -vs- High performance: High performance (but am worried about overheating problems)

Solution
Said Lenovo systems are still a good value. You may want to file those away and consider them. I've heard of some heat concerns with them, but beyond that, most people seem pretty happy with them.

That said, one of my favorite budget systems - if not, my favorite - that still can handle a good deal thrown at it is the Clevo W355SSQ. It's starting at right around $1,000 (ours starts at just shy of it) and is a robust little laptop. There's also a variant of the W355SSQ: the W350SS. The only difference between the two is that the former has a backlit keyboard, while the latter does not.
Said Lenovo systems are still a good value. You may want to file those away and consider them. I've heard of some heat concerns with them, but beyond that, most people seem pretty happy with them.

That said, one of my favorite budget systems - if not, my favorite - that still can handle a good deal thrown at it is the Clevo W355SSQ. It's starting at right around $1,000 (ours starts at just shy of it) and is a robust little laptop. There's also a variant of the W355SSQ: the W350SS. The only difference between the two is that the former has a backlit keyboard, while the latter does not.

Solution