Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hi,

I am currently using Winamp, but for some reason, it messes with my computer. I am looking for a replacement to this media player and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. This is just for listening to music. I will not be doing anything fancy or complicated; all I will be doing is adding music to my library, making playlists, and maybe play around with an equalizer.

Oh, I want to stay away from iTunes, so please don't recommend iTunes.

Thanks.

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

I first went with Winamp because I had used it in the 90's and remember it being rather easy to use. For some reason, Winamp is causing my sound driver (or something working with the sound driver) to freeze up. The result is that I get no sound from certain programs (like watching Youtube videos) or that some programs freeze upon loading (Counter-Strike: Source). I'm not sure what the problem is, and I'm not attached to Winamp enough to investigate what the problem is.

What music player do you use?

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

The info on their website looks okay. Do you use it? I see that it tags with checks on Amazon. How often does it do that and what kind of information does it transmit to Amazon? Is this player easy to use?

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As far as I know, it only pulls album art and track tags from Amazon, but I don't know the specifics.

I suggest you give each option a try and see which one you like best.

cb001

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I'd vote for MediaMonkey too - I agree that it only grabs album art etc as far as I know.
I use it to sync my iPod too and diabled iTunes.
It is very easy to use imho. I installed it when I got the iPod in preference to iTunes - having previously used WinAmp for listening - but use MediaMonkey all the time now.

davcon

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
You could try VLC player which is the best for video and sounds good too for music.
One of the few that plays FLAC.
Doesn't look pretty but does the job well.

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Why did you switch from WinAmp to MediaMonkey?

cb001

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Coz it seems to me easier to use, and has a sync to iPod facility.

tryni

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I have used Mediamonkey for 3 or 4 years. If I don't arfe mistaken, the times Mediamonkey checks with Amazon its when I asked it for it.

Sanya01

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hi try using Auto MP3 Player.This application gives you the possibility to create MP3 reproduction lists so that they are automatically executed without having to control the advance and passage of the themes. It also allows you to configure the software so that the computer is automatically turned on, the themes are reproduced and it is turned off at the end. With Auto MP3 Player you can choose among two different graphic environments, according to your needs and requirements. One of them is the complete one in which you can find all the functions of the programme; while the other is much more reduced and its purpose is to occupy little space in the screen so that you can perform other tasks.

bloodcore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
If you want a music player, try downloading AIMP 2. (or the AIMP3 Beta)

I've been using Winamp since the first month that I bought my first computer in 1997-98 and after trying AIMP2 for an hour or so..
I changed sometime in 2010 and I never looked back. :)

AIMP2 supports most music files, including lossless formats such as .FLAC

Link: http://www.aimp2.us/